1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me decide on my next dirt pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Dunwich Volt Thrower

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Fuzzrocious Demon

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Both

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Hey guys, my band is going into the studio in August to record our second EP. while my live board has been stripped back to 2 dirt pedals I would like to have my current 3 and one more to round out the collection to have as many tonal possibilities while recording.

We are a hard/stoner rock band ie qotsa/Royal Blood

My rig is a Fender AVRI 58 RI P bass played with a pick into and Ampeg SVT-VR and 810

Current dirt roster;
    Damnation MBD-1 (on live rig)
    Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard (not on live rig)
    EHX Green Russian Big Muff (on live rig)

Not sure if I want something ratty or grindy

Current choices are the Dunwich Volt Thrower and the Fuzzrocious Demon. I may also pick up another DOD 250 as I should have never got rid of mine and they can be had for cheap. I am open to other suggestions as well that may round out the tonal pallet.

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    In my experience...if you are split between 2 vastly different pedals...then your anxiety is telling you that you really want / need them both

torza and Maxfenderbass like this.
  3. My wallet really does not want to hear that response

4. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    For major dirt, I am currently using the Idiotbox Blowerbox. Also cool with the glowing green LED eyes. For minimal to maximal dirt, the Wampler Low Blow is extremely versatile. I use that for overdrive/minor dirt.

jlbbassist likes this.
  5. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Since you asked about two specific pedals, I will say it's a no brainer. The Volt Thrower is much more versatile then the Demon and has much more low end punch too.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  6. Get Ryan to build you a custom CatKingDemmon box with add ons.

SunnBass and Maxfenderbass like this.
  7. Do you know how it compares to the iron pig, I used to own the mxr bd and while it was great for a long time, I began to not enjoy it as much.

2010P likes this.
  8. Pick one. ..

IMG_20180614_143516. IMG_20180614_143516.

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Get a Dunwich Volt Thrower and ODB. Or the Fuzzrocious Demon. Both it and the ODB would do similar things, I think.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  10. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Iron Pig is a toy compared to the VT.

Korladis and Maxfenderbass like this.
  11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Another vote for the Aftershock. It does Ratty, Muffy, Tubey, Ampegy and many more.
    Also has a very powerful Parametric EQ, Each tone can have two completely separate tone engines, stacked or in series, you can have up to 6 presets tones at the push of a button or flick of the mini toggle switch.
    And its a lot cheaper than many of the boutique pedals that dont have anywhere near the versatility.

12. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

In my experience, people who go for the Dunwich Volt Thrower or the Fuzzrocious Demon generally are using them as their main drive sounds, rather than wanting to be tonal chameleons.

13. My main drive sound is my MBD-1, this is for when I want to either stack or get a bit of a different sound.

Korladis likes this.
  14. You prefer the cat tail though? I just know I had the mxr bd and it just didn’t do it for me. I believe it’s a stripped down cat tail(I could be wrong on that) but with a dry knob. I just couldn’t get the bottom end response out of it.

2010P likes this.
  15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    My point is the ability to try out different tones, and then settle on one, rather than use many different tones.

16. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Cat Tail is grindy more than bassy, but IMO it has enough bass for all my music. I am playing Rush style prog. I actually use it as an always on and at very low gain. Just enough to give it hair. Any bass loss is easily compensated by either kicking the volume up a bit, or running it through my Linden eq which bumps up the bass quite considerably.

Korladis likes this.
  17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Get an Iron Pig V2, they now come with a blend. I swear I tried every rat clone available, almost all the ProCo models, a Volt Thrower, a Don't Shred on Me, an ROUS, a BYOC Mouse, A Blower Box, an Iron Horse, VFE Alpha Dog, Cat Tail, etc... The Iron Pig V2 just has something special. Especially running through the B7K I use as a pre-amp/tone shaper.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  18. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    tumblr_ncurlyvlar1skeohxo1_250.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  19. I did end up pulling the trigger on the VT, it was inevitable. My plan is to tame the gain on the MBD-1 to bright mild OD and then stack the VT for big parts in tunes. Anybody have experience stacking these two?

Korladis likes this.