1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Decide On Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tycobb73, Jan 21, 2012.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I use D Addario XL's on my basses. On my streamer they are the perfect string. Contrary to what people say about Warwick this is a very bright bass. On my Spector they are just a little dark for me still. My understanding is that for Nickels they are bright. But what would be some brighter strings. I don't expect you guys to tell me what my perfect string is, just strings that are brighter than what I am currently using. I don't mind ss if they feel good on the fingers. Price is an issue. What I currently use costs around $20 and if I could keep it around that it would be great. I also want something that is long lasting.

2. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You want Rotosound 66 swing bass. Best strings ever. $25.

4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Just saw rotosound came out with swing bass Nickle /Steels. They might sound good. I use Dr Sunbeams and Roto's.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR HiBeams. Brighter, but not harsh. They would be just right. They also have a smoother feel than most steels, so they won't eat your fingers and frets like Rotosounds. Oh, and they last forever!

Get the best price here, and you can even build your own custom gauged set!
    https://bassstringsonline.3dcartstores.com/DR-Strings_c_16.html

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If you want bright strings you dont want rotosound swing66 steel or nickel, nor DR sunbeams. Thses are all warm voiced strings. For bright, DR Hibeams are good choice.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you like the XL's you should try D'Addario stainless.

8. +1. Hey, a fellow Grand Rapids low-ender! Howdy. I would say try the ProSteels. I've had a good experience with DR SS Lo-Riders.

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This.

10. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    +1. Just started using these, and I love them.

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI

Yep. And I'm about ready to play at church too. I playat Frontline. Luckily everything is in a key such that I can bring my Warwick, although I got a few complements the last time I played the spector. Its time to change strings on both so I'm looking for something new on the spector.

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    DR has a much better B string. Costs $$ though.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hi- beams brighter than Rotos? No friggin' way. I have never heard one single person who has actually used them call them "Warm voiced". :rolleyes: