Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide on what to do with some gear!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flexo, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Install new pickup in S.U.B and sell OLP and original s.u.b pickup seperately

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Install new pickup in S.U.B and install original s.u.b pickup in OLP and sell together

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Install new pickup in OLP and sell together

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sell OLP and new pickup seperately

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Something Else (Please suggest something)

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I currently have a musicman s.u.b that i bought recently and i'm very happy with it.
    At the same time i bought the s.u.b. i bought a basslines/seymour duncan alnico MM pickup. I bought the bass and pickup in singapore because they were so much cheaper than they would cost here in Oz, but that's another story!
    Anywho, i also have an OLP MM2 that i am selling to recoup some of the cost of the s.u.b. so i'm now wondering what i should do with the duncan MM pickup!
    I figure my options are:

-Replace the pickup in the s.u.b with the musicman version and either sell the s.u.b pickup individually or put it in the OLP before i sell that
    -Put the duncan in the OLP and sell them together
    -Sell the OLP and the duncan separately

I would like some opinions on whether or not it would be worth putting the pickup in the s.u.b, or if it wouldn't really be a worthwhile upgrade!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do YOU like the current sound?

3. I own a OLP MM2 bass... I love it, but doesnt have the sound nor build quality as the S.U.B. does. I would keep the S.U.B. and the old pickup and sell the OLP. I got mine used "barely" with a SKB freedom hardsell case for $200 plus tax at a local music store, Awesome deal in my opition. Swap those pickups... if you like it sell the pickup to me. I would love to have a "real" musicman pickup in my bass :bag: . Once you make the switch pm or e-mail me if your interested once you make the swap :D . But If it where me, if I had a S.U.B. I would take those stock strings off of it "get some better ones" if you havent already done so, and swap pickups and send the OLP packen, and the old pickup on my front doorstep! IMO

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    It depends on what you want to do with the SUB - if you like it currently, or whether you think it needs the improvement of the SD (and "improvement" is a very subjective issue here).

Regarding the OLP, leave it as is. The upgraded pickup will barely be reflected in the price you get.

After that, decide which pickup you want, and then sell the other. What you might find surprising is that the original MusicMan pickup may be easier to sell than the SD. MusicMan won't supply replacement parts unless you return the original part (there are exceptions, but they're rare). Therefore, a good condition Stingray pickup will attract a lot of attention. And, the cool thing is this. The pickup you've got there may've come from a SUB, but it's exactly the same as the pickup in a Stingray (any MusicMan experts please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99.99999% sure this is correct!).

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I *think* you're right about the SUB pickup being the same as the Stingray pickup. The difference is the stock electronics...the stock SUB is passive unless I'm very much mistaken.

I voted "other." If it were me I'd sell the whole lot and buy a Stingray. But that's just me...I like active basses.

I agree that the OLP should be sold as-is. When you've got a bottom-of-the-line instrument, you'll never get out of it what you put into it. My beater practice bass is an SX Jazz that I took to a luthier for a fret level and dressing. The work cost more than the bass did, but it plays well now. If I were to sell it, there's NO WAY I'd recover the money I put into it.

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Or, alternatively, you could give me all your gear, and absolve yourself of the problem completely....

7. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Btw adouglas I have the two-band active s.u.b and stingrays cost a bucketload in Oz so unfortunately thats not an option!

I am really happy with the sound of the stock pickup. Truth be told i didn't know it was the same pickup thats in the stingrays. I guess i'm just not sure what sort of difference the SD pickup would make. I might just hold on with the pickup decision for the time being because i'm really not sure what to do. Ideally i'd like to find someone that has changed out the pickup of an active s.u.b and see what the results were. I tried posting that in the pickups forum but i only got one reply.

One thing i know for sure is that i'll sell the OLP as-is. And hopefully i can do that soon because i'm totally broke! :(
    Which brings me to my next point, Hookus, you can have my gear as long as you take my debts with it! ;)