Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide please!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Apr 10, 2002.

1. I am sure you all know how it feels to think over and over in your head possible speaker configurations for your bass rig.

Here is what I have:

Carvin 1000 w poweramp, I run a 4 ohm goliath jr (2x10) off of the one channel. I am considering adding a second cab and am leaning a bit towards a triad. To run off the other channel.

However I also considered the 2x10 for smaller gigs and bridging my poweramp 1000 W into possibly a goliath sr (6x10) for larger gigs.

So if anyone could help me reason here and weigh out the options between portability and volume....

Sure the senior is a bit much but it would just be so cool ;)

I play against a loud drummer and a marshall 4x12 100w and 2 singers.

thanx

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would think long and hard about carrying that triad or 6x10 around. Go down to the shop and push it around a while. Think about loading it your car. Up stairs at gigs?

My opinion of the best choice (for me) is to either add another Goliath Jr. or the Son of Bertha 1x15.
    You'll get alot more volume with two cabinets, but you won't have to knock yourself out to get there.
    For what its worth...

3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    have you ever tried to pick up a 6x10? for the weight, its not worth it. even with 20 inch rim caster, i still wouldn't buy it. Im gettin my jr too soon, and i plan matching it onlywith a 15. the son of bertha is a must. plus u can blind people with the shiny grills!

4. Yeah portability is an issue, but we do have a van. although once we get everything with us in it, it is packed and a 6x10 would be crazy to fit in. You guys really find the triad is even a bit of an inconvienence? I have never tried to carry one, but they are larger than the S.O.B. I just really like the idea of having 3 10's and a 15. But what I am trying to consider is how much of a difference that extra 10 will really make.

thanx for the input

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Triad would rule. RULE! Especially if you stack the 210 atop that hummer. Yes, it would rule, for sure.