Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me decide (read before voting)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Sep 12, 2005.

1. 2 g/k heads with 2 avatar 4 ohm 4x10 cabs (stereo)

42.9%
  2. 1 g/k head with 2 avatar 8 ohm 4x10 cabs (mono)

35.7%
  3. other............

21.4%
  1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i really want to run my "rick o sound" jazz bass in stearo but i want to stick with 2 cabs (total of ~175 lbs), but that means that i have to buy 2 cabs and another head (dont have a "real cab" yet) but should i get 1 head and 2 cabs or 2 heads and 2 cabs. i play mostly led zep/rush/funk/rock and i have good pa support. i dont want more than 2 cabs (8x10 total) and also can i run 2 heads into 1 cab???? (just to hang ten until the other cab gets here)

2. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    anybody????

3. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    so no body has no opoinons on this?????

4. What particular reason do you have for wanting a stereo rig? Are you saying that you want cabs on each side of the stage? Are you thinking about running effects in one and not the other? What GK head are we talking about?

With PA support it is doubtful you would "need" 2 heads and 2 4x10 cabs for anything but stadium gigs. Generally with full PA support you are only providing stage volume with your rig.

My opinion is 1 head and 1 4x10 cab to run with full PA. If you want to go crazy and use a bunch of stuff go for it but nobody can answer that for you. You need to decide how much stuff you want to carry.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Are you set on GK? I have limited experience with them (other than trying out in a music store) so I can't offer much advice there.

If not, I would suggest getting a good poweramp that can be run stereo, and a dual channel preamp or two singles. One compact solution would be a used alembic f2-b preamp, into a poweramp, into two cabinets. That way, you'd still be able to set tone and volume of the two channels independently, like you have two amps. If you play a smaller gig, you could just run the power amp in bridged mono for more power into one cab.

That's my 2 cents. Also I agree that two 4x10s is kind of overkill for most applications.

Marshall

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you absolutely must have stereo (for stereo effects and whatnot), then I would buy one stereo power amp then run two seperate pre's. Alternatively you could use a single two channel preamp. I personally would find this to much effort, but then again I have no interest in having a stereo setup.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I forgot about power amps and bridgeable amps (like my old Hartke 5000)

That would be the best bet but I'm not sure if you could get say a sweeping effect using a single pre-amp like with using 2 amps.

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hence the need for two preamps or at least a two channel preamp.

9. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    no one head/cab would run one pickup (neck) and the other would run my other pickup (bridge), just like in the old ricks
    i like how you can get growly lows but blazing highs with this set up of gk heads. you cant get that with one head/cab due to the preamp contoling the whole sound

in stereo you would have eq settings for each pickup. so the highs (bridge pickup) would have low, low mids, high mids, and high settings just on one pickup. and if i wanted to run mono i would just hook up it thru a panel i desgined taht takes the stereo in put and splits it into a 2 stereo signals and a 2 mono signals. also i love the sound of the gks and i havent found a rig that sounds quite as good.

10. I admit that would be cool but it would also be a pain in the neck to carry around.

11. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    true that is the only draw back.........if i go mono should i get a 2, 8 ohm or 1, 4 ohms???? im running gk backline 600 right now

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think that if I was going to do something like this, I would use one regular rig plus a combo amp for a second channel.