Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide the color/wood scheme for my Nordstrand!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Dec 20, 2003.

which color/wood scheme?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2004.
  1. mahogany body, clear finish. maple neck fingerboard pup covers and knobs

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. mahogany body, clear finish. maple neck. bubinga fingerboard pup covers aand knobs

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. mahogany body. 3 tone tobacco sunburst finish, matching headstock. maple neck f/b pup covers and kno

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. mahogany body. 3 tone sunburst finish, matching headstock. maple neck. bubinga f/b pup covers and kn

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. other...

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. hey guys. i've been planning a Nordstrand (with major help from JPJ ,www.blueberryhillbass.com awesome guy!) and i really am at a loss as far as what i want as far as looks. i have a few ideas, but really cant decide. my 4 options are up there, give it a vote

btw, if you have any other ideas feel free to chime in!

2. Option 4 (my idea :D)

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    [​IMG]

That is the most beautiful bass I've ever seen in my life! I live for the day I get a Nordstrand... :bassist:

Either way, Nordstrands look great, but I think they need a really fancy top, like the quilted redwood, that just takes them to the next level. The "cream pants at sight" level.;)

:D

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm thinking about switching to Candy Apple Red for my fretless
    [​IMG]

but of your choices I'd say Tobacco Burst
    [​IMG]

I don't dig Mahogany with out a color added to it.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The most beautifully finished tops I've ever seen were
    Mesquite Burl
    or
    Coco Bolo
    or
    some flamed maple with a caramel burst.

Here's a pic of the Mesquite before application.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I like the clear finishes, and voted for option 2. If I was going to get a colour, Id get something subtle like that tobaccoburst 5-string jazz-like bass, something loud like the tobaccoburst on a Les Paul would ruin it IMO.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it's a Benavente Vortex. The CAR 6 string is the vintage version of the Vortex.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'd Vote for Number 3 with out the clear finish. The Finish looks really good but the sound of it lacks to be desired. A Nice semi-gloss will give it a shine with out compressing to much tone.

Fbass uses a finish that is very alive. I'm not sure what George uses and I know some have complained about how quickly it wears but is doesn't compress the tone like the thick thick gloss does. I've played other bass manufactures that used some type of Gloss finish's that don't seem to compress that much as well. I think its another trial and error type thing. I prefer semi-gloss for more resonant sound.

James
    Where did you get the Candy Apple red Finish pic?? I haven't even seen it finished and its a LowEnd Instrument.........:meh:

9. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Because James is the WebMaster....got the connection with Chris:D

Yeah, really nice finish..are those the armstrong/Bene new pups for that bass? Really looking forward to here the new tone!!:eek:

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :smug: Heheh Purdy ain't it :D

here's another :p

[​IMG]

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thanks for the pics James :rolleyes: I'll put them in my Gallery.

H
    WOW, I'm trying to think which pickups those are. The 9 string has the Custom Armstrong's, but I can't remember, I think those are a set John Suhr made Custom for me. Both are amazing pickups..........

DEFELDUS

On the Nord, I take it this is the bolt-on series?? Will Carey make a custom pickguard to give a little more Vintage vibe to it? Might be cool, Chris did one that doesn't screw down but pressure fits for a customer, here it is. ITs Randy Melson's Vortex in Sea Foam Green with aptional pickguard.

The Nordstrand will Turn out beautiful I'm sure!

[​IMG]

12. well, im sure he could make a pickguard, but money is a (big) issue here (im in high school...!) so im trying to keep the cost down. all of the options i have listed are options that wouldn't add to the cost (the wood pupcovers are included with Carey's custom pickups im getting.)right now i'm really liking the sunburst option with maple, sorta like this picture (from thelowend.net, awesome site brian!)

[​IMG]

i also came up with a new idea:

ash body, clear finish. maple neck. Bubinga fingerboard knobs and pup covers.

what do you guys think? i really think i'm going to go with a wood look (cler finish) and a nice contrast with the other components (fingerboard knobs pup covers) but i just have to decide which woods to go with :meh:

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    being mine is an Ash body and I NEED to see the grain :) I think I'm gonna have Chris shoot mine like Sellers' soon to be finished chambered Vortex...

[​IMG]
    kind of traditional meets tobacco

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Actually, if you read on Carey's website, he actually says that there nothing scientific that would prove that a hard finish will have any affect on the sound. Carey goes on to say that where he worked, they built three basses from the exact same woods with the exact same electronics, and each bass sounded different. So, I guess the point is that instruments will sound different no matter what, and it would be hard to label a sound difference on any one material that is involved in the building process. I know if you posed the same question to someone like Ken Smith, you'd get a very different response though.

And by the way, my vote would be for number 3. Carey's finish is absolutely the best that I've seen, and you can't pass up the oppourtunity to have it.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I agree, it all a matter of opinion. I think some companies that do a gloss finish do it very well and it seems to allow the instrument to breath, example I gave above is Fbass. George from Fbass also leaves the neck Natural which I think also helps alot! I've played a number of other instruments that breathed well and others that seemed compressed. Its all a matter of taste.

I do have a Nordstrand right now at the shop so am very fimiliar with the beautiful finish job Carey does.......................

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Yeah Brian Awesome site! You should give your webguy a raise :p

Hell Yeahs! That'd be a smokin' bass I'd opt for gold bridge and tuners too. :bassist:

17. Wow, that'a a hot bass!

Is that an East Indian Rosewood fretboard? And what is the binding?

-Bernie

18. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Err, what about tone? Mahogany vs. Ash, Bubinga vs. Maple. Very different woods with (I'm guessing) very different resonance and pronunciation/attack. I'm guessing the darker woods would create a softer attack with less sparkly highs and a more pronounced low-midrange, while the lighter woods would "scoop" the mids somewhat and add a sheen of treble clarity to the mix.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Option 3.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tone would be my first consideration.

I think I would prefer either Alder or Swamp Ash depending on the tone you're after.

Either with caramel burst finish (the alder would probably need a maple top).

I like Pao Ferro, Ebony, or Wenge fb's (again depending on the tone you're after).