Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me decide,used cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dougray, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i was at a local pawnshop and they have 3- 4x10 cabs.

1: EDEN 410D $375 540watts@4ohms (rear ported,in decent shape)
    2: Ampeg 4x10 $300 400watts@4ohms(newer style cabinet,front ported,looks new)
    3: Trace Elliot 1048 $300 320watts@ohms (older style,no horn,rear ported)

the EDEN is nice and compact,sounds good.
    the Ampeg is larger ,weighs more, seems "louder"than the eden cab. when i jammed thru it.

the Trace is "in between sounding" weighs the most,but is 8ohms for future cabinet adding.

help me decide,lol.
    thanx!! :hyper:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have used the first two, and I loved the tone from the Eden far more than the Ampeg.

I would buy the Eden without a hesitation.

-Mike

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've never played through a Trace cabinet so I can't comment on it.

The Ampeg sounds like a SVT-410HLF being 4 ohms and larger than the Eden. I really like the 410HLF and have never cared for Eden cabinets (though I've tried to like them on a number of occassions).

Which ever cabinet you consider, be sure to inspect the cones very carefully (take or borrow a flashlight) for creases. They'd appear in the paper somewhat inside of the surround and are caused by overexcursion. Speakers with creased cones really need to be reconed (an expensive proposition for a 4x10).

Ultimately, you'll have to decide which one sounds the best. Have you tried them out with your bass and amp? That may help you choose.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's what a creased cone can look like...yuck-o :eyebrow:

The creases can really hide behind a grille or in the shadows. That's why I suggest a flashlight to really take a good look.

5. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    the Ampeg cabinet is the BSE series? its not the SVT series, it has a silver grill with the ampeg logo near the bottom of cabinet,
    eden model is D410-T
    trace model is 1048

i am thinking heck for 75bux more,eden might be the one.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I thought about that after I posted my response. Never tried those out...

I'll leave it up to your ears...lots of folks swear by Eden but I can't stand 'em. What's most important is that you choose a cabinet that you like (and that's truly in good condition).

Good luck!!!

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    personally i'd take the eden. 375 is right in the ballpark where they and the swr goliath 1 and goliath 2 sell for.