1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide what to spend my money on.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HG1180, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Rickenbacker

108 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. Fender P Bass

46 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    So I’m torn, I absolutely LOVE Rickenbackers, and have wanted one for years now, however I found this absolutely beautiful 70s p bass that is fretless, which is something I’ve also been in the market for, they’re both in the 1400-1700$ range with the rick being more expensive. Please help me pick! FA916A92-A152-4458-B06B-0E4046D5F870.jpeg 47EF2C58-F120-41D2-9DF3-4904BDA409DF.jpeg

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That's a slick Ric, it gets my vote :thumbsup:

3. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    That P bass is kind of “a face only a mother could love”... I’d have to get the Rick.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'd have to think that the P bass will be hard to unload when and if you decide to sell it.
    The Ric looks great, though.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't buy the Ric without playing it. You might fall in absolute love, you might despise it.

Qlanq, Wisebass, Nephilymbass and 6 others like this.
  6. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    Idk there’s something about it I like, can’t really figure what though.

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You might have to start wearing something like this while playing it, though.
    s-l1000-jpg-cf-1.jpg

8. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    Ah, I shall finally be A member of Jethro Tull! :laugh:

9. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Neither one - I'd keep looking.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Actually, I do prefer bands to have a certain look, for the most part...and I'd definitely wear that before any '80s Spandex.

Outshined91, SactoBass and HG1180 like this.
  11. Dougflores

Dougflores

Jan 18, 2017
    Id say the Rick. But I would also say not the Rick, because I think I have the same one on my watch list on Reverb. LOL you might snag it before I do XD

12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I like that P...

Ace Of Bass and HG1180 like this.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    get one of these

GLt2tv8Q5yTKcFhzkKFXf3.jpg

14. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    Ooh I don’t know, something about that neck and bridge seem very off to me.

OldPlucker and teh-slb like this.
  15. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    eastcoasteddie likes this.
  16. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    That P is definitely one of a kind and if you find it appealing I would go for it as you probably won't have a problem finding a Ric 4003SW in the foreseeable future.

HG1180 likes this.
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

This is, of course, pure opinion on my part. But between those two, I would go with the Ric. If the P bass didn't have the etching/carving, I would recommend the P bass only because it has a tone that is useful in many genres (not that the Ric isn't.....it's just that the P bass would be useful in more scenarios IMO). I personally don't care for the etching/carving on that P bass. IMO, it looks like some dude got high on LSD and went wild with his artistic talents, then the next day he looked at what he had done and said to himself "OMG...I'll never do THAT again!" But of course, I want to emphasize, that is only *MY* opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you find the etching/carving attractive on that P bass, then that's what matters! If you buy that P bass and decide to sell it later, I think (IMO) that you will have a tougher time selling it due to the etching/carving.

Btw, I have four Fender basses (two P's and two J's) plus a Ric, and I love all five of them equally. :thumbsup:

18. I love the sound of a P Bass. But you can get that sound with a lower end P bass, imo. So I would get the Rick.

I could just be saying this because I already have a P bass but have always wanted a Rick.

19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The only thing I can say is I’d pass hard on that P-bass.

20. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    I don't know of any other bass that feels more "UNUSUAL" than a Ric. Sooooooooo....

diegom and HG1180 like this.