1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Decide: Which Concert?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Two nice players shows are in St. Louis this weekend and next week. Dave Weckl with Tom Kennedy is playing tonight through Saturday (tonight is probably a wash because of a nasty ice and snow storm.) Next Tuesday, Medeski, Scofield, Martin, and Wood play in St. Louis for one show. If I catch both shows, I will be out of $60+ dollars, which is more than I want to spend since the kids want nice presents for Christmas and my wife would give me grief for being out that much.

I have seen Scofield at least two times before and I have seen MMW before in 1996. I am curious about Tom Kennedy and Weckl since they are local legends with a national profile. That said, I really like the MSMW CD, and would love to see that music performed live. I can't make a bad choice, but which is the best choice?

2. MSM&W

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    MSM&W.

Not Dave Weckl because of a personally very silly reason. I played with a drummer who could not go a day without saying Dave Weckl this and Dave Weckl that. The guy made me so sick I vowed to avoid DW at all costs, which is too bad because I am sure he is great.

Amazing the damage one fanboy can do. :D

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    DW and TK. I love Tom's tone, and he is a killer player. I also prefer that style of music. MMW is OK, but I never really could get into it.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Oh, man, two of my favorite bands. I'd kill for MMW and have seen them only two times. . .

But Tom Kennedy. . . what a monster. I don't necessarily like Dave Weckl as a producer/band leader - the band sounds a little L.A.-cheesy sometimes- but Tom is just a monster. I have many of DW band CDs.

Tough call. Even though I would love to see Tom Kennedy, I think my gut would make me go to MMW.

Hofner through old Ampeg = Juicy - plus, Bill Martin is one of my favorite drummers of all times.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    MMW + Scofield = good time. Having seen both individually and together, I can attest that it will blow your mind. Piece of advice. Don't bring your chick though, unless she's into that kind of music.:rollno:

7. I haven't heard MMW + Scofield so I can't comment there, but I have to say, Dave Weckl is AWESOME! Is it the actual 'Dave Weckl Band'? They toured here in Melbourne earlier this year, and the show blew me away. And its obviously not just good for bassists - you don't need to be a drummer to be awestruck by what Weckl does... If they're touring the 'Multiplicity' album, you definitely should go see them. If you haven't heard it, see if its on CD universe or Amazon, the first track is killer!

8. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    next week we have gov't Mule thursday and MSMW friday so no conflict! whew! madison/milwaukee

9. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I was going to say the exact thing! Crazy drummers. I also love Scofield and have never seen him live.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I say beg for a day of overtime and got to both!!!!

Or just MSM&W

11. +1

12. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Interesting. I worked with a fellow from Europe who also happen to be an amateur drummer. Same thing. There was only one drummer who mattered: “The Weckl”. When pressed he finally conceded that Steve Gadd might also be pretty good, but of course would in no way measure up in a direct comparison.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I can come up with a surprise for my wife, maybe I will go to both concerts. Both should be great with monster musicians.:)

14. I am a drummer. Been playing 27 yrs. Started playing bass about a yr ago. Dave Weckl was doing a clinic here in Fl and was taking audience questions. I asked him an easy question. "How do you come up with drum beats and fills and how long does it take to work them out?". He looked at me like I was stupid and didn't even answer. Maybe he didn't know or was thinking "i am Dave Weckl, how can you ask me that question" a bit arrogant. Anyway, I asked the same question to Terry Bozio and Steve Gadd at other clinics I attended and they offered some great advice.

Anyway, I would go see Dave Weckl's band. I saw him and John Patitucci with Chick Corea band. Pretty Awesome !

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mother Nature took care of this one for me. As of this minute, my house has had no power for two days, and my family and I are staying with church members due to the terrible ice storm that hit the area. Hopefully everything will be cool, and I can see MSMW on Tuesday.:(

BTW, I hope other TB'ers in the lower Midwest are safe, sound, and warm. You all have my prayers.:)