Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 8, 2004.

1. I'm trying to decide what amp/cab setup to go with. I have it narrowed down to a few options. I'm probably going to go with an Avatar cab, but I can't decide whether to get the 1x15w/horn, the 2x10, or the 2x12. my current amp, and ampeg ba-115, doesn't have enough highs/high mids for me, and it's a litte too boomy. I play five strings, so I do need the low end, and I'm wondering if the 2x10 would have enough bottom for me. I'm also poor, so if i could get my with the 1x15 for a while and then add a 2x10 or 2x12 later, that would be good. As for amps, I'm looking mostly into power amps at this point, but I also like what I've read about the behringer BX3000t. Any advice?

2. I forgot to mention that I would run my Behringer bass v-amp as a preamp with an amp head or just a poweramp.

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The 2-12 will sound best and satisfy longer -- thereby allowing you to save up and buy more stuff.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you can only buy one, get the B212 Delta. I have a pair of those, a B210 and a CB115H (plus other cabs...yes, it's gotten kind of out of hand)and I'd say of the three, the B212 is the best stand alone for 5 string.

After that, I'd add the B210. The 10s and 12s work well together. The 12s have nice lows and mids, the 10s add some bunch and upper mids. Both cabinet have Foster tweeters so there are more highs than most folks would ever need.

When I first got the B210, I set it on end on the floor and played my 5 string through it...it sounded pretty good and the lows were better than what I expected, but I didn't play that loud or gig with it.

I actually have two speaker stacks with a 1x15, a 2x12 and a 2x10 in each...I doubt that I'd actually take it all somewhere to play...