help me decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Traveler Guitar Ultra Light Bass (the practical choice)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Steinberger Spirit (the best sitting down to play choice)

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Ibanez SH500 (it just sounds sooo good)

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. Hofner Violin or Club Bass

35 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Other and please post why

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. A turnip bass with a carrot neck!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so, i'm still on the hunt for a bass that sill be better for my shoulder pain than what i've currently got... and there could be more. i REALLY miss playing standing up, i REALLY miss playing a long scale bass that isn't too heavy to manage. i played today for 35 minutes standing up playing my traveler TB-4P which weighs 6.2 pounds, but after 35 minutes, my shoulder hurt deep inside. but i wanted to play more, although i wasn't silly enough to do so...

so the contenders:

steinberger spirit XT-2. a much lighter 34" scale bass with no lower bout to speak of, so this would give me the long scale i crave (i love 34" scale - i sometimes feel constrained playing shorties) at a light weight and would be an improvement for a sitting bass on bad shoulder days. wouldn't be able to play it for long standing as it would weigh about the same as my mikros and my traveler. i've never owned one - seems like fun.

traveler guitar ultra light bass. it IS ultra light. i owned one before, and it weighs about 3 and a half pounds - i kid you not. it wasn't comfy to play sitting down, but i would be able to play it standing up for hours. 30" scale isn't what i was looking for, but playing standing without pain isn't something i've been able to do for years. doesn't sound too good, and since it's a piezo, can't just plug in another pickup i know i like.

the ibanez SH500. yes, we're back to that. it just sounds so wonderful, i came close to buying it on a whim. i can get one that's a little lighter than my traveler TB-4P, but it won't be a sitting bass due to shape. i played a couple on a strap and 25 minutes left me pain free. i can get one at just over 6 pounds, but somehow the strap was more comfortable than it is on the TB-4P - don't know why.

and then there are hofners. at around 5 pounds - over a pound less than the mikros and my TB-4P - there's the club bass, which is purty, and the violin bass, which is sometimes a little lighter than the club. not as light as the ultra light, not long scale, but sound better than the ultra light, although they come in at a pound and a half heavier. sort of a compromise. sort of.

since i can't find a bass that will give me everything i want, i need to prioritize, and that ain't easy since i want two things that don't seem to fully work together. but i really miss those two things, and whatever i get has to work with my shoulder.

thoughts?

2. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    enjoyed my hofner club. different kind of a beast.

Old Blastard, Pbassmanca and pcake like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    For me it's my Hofner Ignition Club.

Mine is 4 lbs. 8 oz. of tone that I find very ergonomic for playing while sitting or standing. My back and shoulders love the light weight and my left hand loves the neck.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Old Blastard and pcake like this.
  4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Judging from your post, the one that calls to you the most is the Ibby SH-500......My G&L ASAT spoke to me like that back in 1995 and I still have it and will never part with it.....Best of luck to you whatever you decide

Old Blastard and pcake like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    forgot to mention: My Stick has a system that incorporates a belt hanger - basically, theres a slotted piece on the back that fits into a waist belt and the pelvis supports the instrument. I need to play Stick higher so I use a police utility belt around my abdomen and, although not loop secured, this has been doing the job fine for me. The stick still has a Strap but the strap doesnt support weight: it just keeps the instrument in place where I want it.....You may be able to adopt a similar type of system (although this may include modding the back of the instrument for a belt hanger)...Just something to think about....Once again, good luck

Plectrum72 and TNCreature like this.
  9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    ELynx, mikewalker and pcake like this.
  10. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    I’m going to say go with the Hofner, it seems to me to have the most going do it in terms of sound, playability and weight. That leaves you SOL with regards to scale length, but one way or another you’re going to have to sacrifice something.

pcake likes this.
  11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Woodstockz likes this.
  12. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Inactive

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    sorry to hear about that pain. are you right handed and could switch to left handed player, as to use your opposite shoulder to bear the weight there instead? i think im pretty sure i w if that werw me... maybe a day will come

13. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    But if you get the sh500, anything you play will sound like "click click clickety clack clack" - that "signature Ibby sound".:rolleyes:

My vote is the ibanez.

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i spent over an hour playing two of those, and i didn't really hear click clickety. it has a smooth uprightish sound. i don't have anything that sounds at all like it. super nice.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Old Blastard likes this.
  15. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    TNCreature likes this.
  16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i think about those a lot, and may well get one at some point. but what i really love is wandering while i play, dancing around and stuff. that's why light weight is a factor... but then on the other hand, i could possibly play my dimension with one of those.

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Under 6 lbs!
    F4_FF8_A1_D-_C9_F6-4_D7_E-8568-_F738_E2_F32_D47.jpg

REV, matty1039, edencab and 2 others like this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You should really look into alternate strap options instead, if it's just a "pain" thing, and not a "NBD" thing. Here's a few that could really help you.
    Screenshot_20180830-200653_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180830-200723_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180830-200745_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180830-200758_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Instead of blowing all that money on basses, that could or could not make a difference, you could spend a few bucks on one of these (or a couple) and keep right on playing the bass you have. Know what I mean?

TNCreature and Fumble Fingers like this.
  19. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I was poking some fun at a thread seen recently. I love the SRs. No matter your choice I'm hoping to see a NBD and no pain in your future!

20. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I have a folding stool that stays in the car, and I end up sitting at most of my gigs. A lot easier on the back/neck, and the only reason I pulled the trigger on a 10.7 lb 6-string. No way I'll play that standing...

Yahboy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021