1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me decide

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jarnett, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I've done some saving, and its time for a new bass, being the proud American I am, I am looking to buy American. I'm trying to decide between a Music Man Sterling or a Fender Percision. P basses are great but I feel like they are too boomy at times.. Any suggestions?

2. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Wow, those are two completely different basses, tone-wise. Should be pretty obvious which one speaks to you.

3. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    Yeah thats my problem, I like the tone of the both of them

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Then go G&L.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Also, the neck profiles are very different on those two basses with the Sterling being more in line with a Jazz styled neck.
    Those are both great basses, but it's really personal preference as to which YOU like better.
    You may as well just get the P and start saving for the others on your wishlist.

6. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I haven't always been a fan of Fender basses, probably because everyone I've ever played was set up horribly, but I'm really thinkin about going with a p-bass, I like the neck styling of a p bass, I'll just make sure that the one I play gets a quick set up before I try it out..

7. Howzit

Howzit

Aug 23, 2011
    Pella, IA
    Peavey Cirrus USA - Just to throw a spanner in the works. :)

...how about supporting the independent luthier - like Andrew Drake?

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    +1
    G&L basses have quite a few neck options (vintage p & j, modern p & j, and the new #12 neck - 1 5/8" nut width 12" radius) and the L-2000 can achieve tones similar to both the basses mentioned.

9. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I've played a couple USA cirrus, and every bass I own oddly enough right now are MIA Peaveys lol I want a higer end bass. My main player is a Peavey T-40 right now, its a great player but is lacking something tonewise and I'd like a thicker neck.

I've thought about buying a bass from an independant luthier but I'm only looking to spend 2k at the most. Maybe if I could get a bass with a PH combo, both pickups, a C shaped neck, and an Ash body.

10. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    If you don't already have a P bass, then get a P, they're a must have. If you already have a good P bass, then go for the Ray.

11. The Precision will be fine for anything. Cure the boominess with EQ. Nobody ever lost a gig for bringing a Precision.

12. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    Yeah I think I am gonna get the pbass, and save up for a 5 string sterling.

13. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I am not currently playing any gigs. In the studio however, I played my P Bass Deluxe and everybody including the engineer loved it. Playing it through the board and an SvT pre-amp was great, kind of sounded like a bass jackhammer if there if such a thing. As a musical tool you need a P bass IMO.....................:)

14. Howzit

Howzit

Aug 23, 2011
    Pella, IA
    Local "Iowa Music Hall of Fame" Fred "Koog" Koogler has a bunch of Andrew Drake custom basses that's why I mentioned them. He swears they are the best he's ever played and recently sold off his MM basses.

I noodled with one of his and a USA luthier made elicits a whole different feeling compared to a USA factory made bass. Maybe it was just me.

...I'm sure you could get a p bass replica for under $2k.

15. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    For me, the swiss army knife bass doesn't really work out. Too many knobs and switches results in me fiddling all night, but never getting the sound I want. I have a G&L L-2000, which is pretty cool and I can't seem to bring myself to sell it, but I never use it live. Right tool for the right job, I guess.

I find a Fender J or P is definitely a staple that everyone should have in their toolbox. Beyond that I dig MM basses and have been wanting to acquire one for years, though I currently have a couple "stingray killer" basses that really cover that sound just fine for me (or better).

If the P is currently calling your name, go for it. You'll probably still want to grab a MM some day. That's just the way it goes.

16. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    If you're gonna buy factory built, buy either a Fender P or a Music Man Sting Ray. If you can only buy one, buy the one that your ears and hands tell you is your long lost lover. This means you will likely have to play a few as they may differ in each brand just a bit from one to the other. But, don't buy unless the bass "speaks to you". You'll know when you find it.

Fender '70s P basses are in my opinion usually great players and sound very good as well. You should be able to buy one $1,800 - $2,200. Still a reasonable value and right in your price range.

You can buy a MM Sting Ray new for $1,300 - $1,500 and used from $900 - $1,100.

I now play customs, but I still love the Ps and 'Rays. One is just as good as the other....both the P and the 'Ray are both Leo designs. I characterize the 'Ray as a P on steroids. And between the two, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Good luck.

Koog.

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    No need to spend more than $1000 for a superb used Precision.

American Standard Ps are MIA, as are AV RIs, the '62 and '57 being both very fine basses. No boom unless you want it- they tend to pack a huge low mid punch that is easy to control, needing minimal EQ.

Then you can go all fancypants with a Sterling, later.

18. jlaudin

jlaudin Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    To add to Howzit's post. I have an Andrew Drake "P" bass for sale. Do a search on this forum for Drake Custom Bass and you will see it. I just last week took delivery on a Cliff Bordwell is the only reason I am selling it.