1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Patchbass, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ashdown ctm 300

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Ashdown ctm 100

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Save the money,get an ABM 500

41 vote(s)
    78.8%
  1. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Need help on amp choosing!

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    You should get a Spyder 550 head!! Perfect match for the ABM 610 ;)

3. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    I've tried one before and it's is one sweet amp but i would prefer an all tube amp ;) And you're not just saying that because you want one is it...? ;)

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Whahaha, you got me there buddy :D

Well yes, I really would like to have one. Having some financial problems at the moment, but it'll come ;)

And what about a MAG - 600H III?

5. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    nah the MAG aint my thing but good luck on the head i did want one a while ago

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Thanks! I hope you can make your choice!

7. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Yeah it's pretty hard but i've still got a bit of saving to do. Has anyone had experience with 100 watt all valve heads as some say it's enough and some not?

8. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Any other head suggestions anyone? preferably at least a hybrid and ashdown as its easy to get in my area.

9. The thing about power is when it's not enough life @#%&$. Get some experience under your belt before making 100w tube your only amp. Guys on TB do gig them but there is no guarantee your situations will work.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    So he should have more then that?

11. Quite possibly. At the smaller UK pub size it depends how loud he needs to get while staying clean. There is no PA.

There's a v4 thread just popped up about this very issue. I wouldn't want to be spending life savings on a flash new rig only to find grinding when I wanted a big singing tone.

12. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Thanks you are always a big help! I think i may go for the ctm 300 or the abm 500 sorta thing as i guess if you are spending so much you might want to make sure you've got enough headroom also im going to speak to some people in the area and see if i can try some stuff!

13. Trying some stuff is absolutely the way forward. In a band the sound differs but still better than 20 E-pinions. What sounds loud by itself has a way of disappearing behind guitars and drums.

I recommend you to cheap out with a decent used rig to get your feet wet. It's good to have a rig you can leave at a practice space too.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I drool over the CTM 300's, but Ive got an ABM 500 and Im real happy.

15. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Yeah thats what i might do but the drophead 200 looks interesting though im not sure if it's user biasable and i really like that feature. Anyway off to denmark street next week so will see what bass amps are in that heavenly street!

16. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm a huge Ashdown fan, but their tube head prices are out of my price range in the states. If I was dead set on going all tube, I would pick up a used svt. But if you can afford one, go for it.

I have two ABM heads and an SVT, the SVT collects dust. The Svt still sounds great, but I can get a very similar tone out of the Ashdown, at a much lighter weight.

If you're set on an all tube head, and want that sound, only a tube head will do that.

If you have no idea what you want, I recommend the ABM. It does a little bit of everything well. Since the ABM is a solid head, and has been in production for over 15 years, you can pick up a used one pretty cheap.

17. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I know some of the newer Ashdown tube heads will have an auto bias feature. I think they just released these.

18. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Yeah but here ashdown all tube amps can be cheaper than an SVT!

19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    It's a good thing that Ashdown makes amp, cabs and preamps in all kind of price ranges. I really like the Valve lines, CL 610 in general, but a bit too expensive for me. Luckily I like the ABM 610 a lot too, so if I have some money I will go for that one :D

20. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Yeah i know there's is something for every situation!