1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Define My Band's Genre

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dylanjosef, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dylanjosef

dylanjosef

Feb 1, 2010
    Hey everybody, I was just curious. What genre do you think my band would be considered? Or name some bands we sound like. Im just curious and it is kind of hard to tell for me being in the band and all. Sorry the clips are live performances but we haven't recorded anything professionally yet.

2. You, drummer, and singer are tight. Guitarists should raise their guitars a bit to avoid missing easy notes ;)

Good stuff. Reminds me a lot of Chevelle, Shinedown, Incubus, the more rock side of Sublime, A Perfect Circle, some slight RHCP/RATM sounds, maybe some Blink 182 or something stuck in there. Maybe even some pop rock like Daughtry.

I'd call it Alternative Rock and be done with it. If you say alternative rock, you have license to be a little different than just rock without overcategorizing it. Don't make it a big mess. People like simple.

3. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    +1

4. bonifayfl

bonifayfl

Dec 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I Guess Rock. Tried to narrow it and am coming up empty. How Long have you guys been playing together?

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Rock. RHCP/RATM kinda style. great!

6. dylanjosef

dylanjosef

Feb 1, 2010
    We have been playing for about 5 months with our current line-up. One of the guitarists, the drummer, and I have been playing together for about a year and a half. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Alt rock; Indie Rock; Modern Rock. They all fit you.

Nice SR700, by the way.

8. Not what I think of when I hear "Indie Rock". Different bands and crowd nowadays. Indie Rock could be anything from Bright Eyes to The Cure depending on who you ask. I don't hear that from them.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Yeah? Well I say "INDIE ROCK." I don't know no Bright Eyes, and I really don't think of any song when I hear The Cure.

What do you call that stuff in the nineties that Smashing Pumpkins and all those bands were playing?

That's the kind of music these kids make me think of.

Except they can sing, of course.

10. Make up a genre based off what styles you all individually took inspiration from.

(We tried that with our band. We call ourselves alt/pop/folk/funk/punk. Catchy, eh?)

But honestly, you're one of the best amateur/non-professional bands I've ever seen on YouTube. There's so much garbage out there, you guys were a breath of fresh air!

11. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm too old to know what to call it, but you guys were good. Well done.

12. Wow, that was really good. I probably have socks older than you, but I can say you guys did a great job.

Personally, I'd call that Alternative Rock.

But then I'm from a time when Aqua-Net, eye liner, and Spandex were required if you wanted to make it big....so what do I know.....

13. a bunch of young guys having a bash? dont worry about calling yourselves some genre

i liked it hey, start of a great band

keep that bass riff going throughout the song wanted on fire

the vox must lose that music stand...lyrics on the floor if he must, spend some time remembering the lyrics like you guys remember your notes.

Also if the dude with the blue axe is on the song riff let him have some glory at the front to show the fans and step yourself back...dont hog the front

14. That's known as alternative nowadays. You can even call older stuff like that Indie, but now it's gotta be weird acoustic or folk or have electronic drum beats or lo-fi recording quality or mix it up with something like Irish music.

All I'm saying is calling them Indie Rock could give people the wrong idea.

15. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I'm going for alternative rock as well.

Indie rock to me is lighter than that and attempts to be "quirky" with the vocals or the chords.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Alternative. Yeah, alternative. Nice work, too.

17. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    whoa! you guys are young and are pretty good! i like your singer's voice.

anyway, yes, +1 on alternative rock ... as for indie rock, the definition sort of changed, nowadays its more of in the british-rock side of things, certainly not smashing pumpkins. i only found that out when i hung out with some "indie rock" kids and they schooled me on it.

18. No, Smashing Pumpkins were more like "suck rock", or any of that drop-D in A-minor crap that seemed so prevalent in the 90s. The Decade of Bad Guitar Playing.

19. Just go with Alternative Rock. It's a nice blend of pop rock, 90's era, RHCP, and a hint of punk influence. I like it alot!