Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me design a cab around these drivers!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 10, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just found a great deal on four Ciare 12.64 NdW1 drivers.
    They want a 100 liter box for four drivers tuned to 52 Hz. The problem is to fit four 12" drivers into such a small box.
    How shallow can the depth of a box be made without it affecting the sound? Any thumb rules for this?
    If I only know how Schroeder design his compact cabs I´d go with something like that.
    Check the specs and tell me if I should back off and not buy them, please!
    http://www.visaton-bausaetze.de/pa/index.htm?/pa/ciare_3.htm
    Scroll down to the right driver!

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Go with the schroeder idea... a cabinet within a cabinet.

Almost like having a normal cube/rectangle-shaped cab and putting 2 speakers on one face and 2 speakers on the next face too... except that it's not a cube rectangle, the second "face" is at an angle of something like 130degrees (internal angle) to the front face.

Look for some pics of Tech Soundsystems cabs - they did a 4x12 cab that looked like a 2x12.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks
    I´ve been drawing on the Schroeder/Tech type idea. But I dont know how the angled driver affect the sound. The mids and highs will probably be affected by the throat size. But I dont know. It would be really tough to build a cab and find out it sounds like #%&*(. :help:

Right now im leaning towards building two guitar like side-by-side 2x12 cabs that are quite shallow.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. These four speakers are lightly used and are 350 Euro for all four. That´s why Im trying to design a cab around them before I deicde if I should buy them or not.

5. These are very efficient PA or maybe bass horn drivers. The F3 is pretty high at 88 ~ 104 Hz (QB3 ~ SBB4), but right in the same league as the JBL E155.

Box volume is quite small. The only reserveration is the short Xmax. Should be plenty loud with lots of mids.