1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me design a cab around these drivers!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 10, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just found a great deal on four Ciare 12.64 NdW1 drivers.
    They want a 100 liter box for four drivers tuned to 52 Hz. The problem is to fit four 12" drivers into such a small box.
    How shallow can the depth of a box be made without it affecting the sound? Any thumb rules for this?
    If I only know how Schroeder design his compact cabs I´d go with something like that.
    Check the specs and tell me if I should back off and not buy them, please!
    http://www.visaton-bausaetze.de/pa/index.htm?/pa/ciare_3.htm
    Scroll down to the right driver!

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Go with the schroeder idea... a cabinet within a cabinet.

Almost like having a normal cube/rectangle-shaped cab and putting 2 speakers on one face and 2 speakers on the next face too... except that it's not a cube rectangle, the second "face" is at an angle of something like 130degrees (internal angle) to the front face.

Look for some pics of Tech Soundsystems cabs - they did a 4x12 cab that looked like a 2x12.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks
    I´ve been drawing on the Schroeder/Tech type idea. But I dont know how the angled driver affect the sound. The mids and highs will probably be affected by the throat size. But I dont know. It would be really tough to build a cab and find out it sounds like #%&*(. :help:

Right now im leaning towards building two guitar like side-by-side 2x12 cabs that are quite shallow.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. These four speakers are lightly used and are 350 Euro for all four. That´s why Im trying to design a cab around them before I deicde if I should buy them or not.

5. These are very efficient PA or maybe bass horn drivers. The F3 is pretty high at 88 ~ 104 Hz (QB3 ~ SBB4), but right in the same league as the JBL E155.

Box volume is quite small. The only reserveration is the short Xmax. Should be plenty loud with lots of mids.