1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me design an electronics scheme for my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 19, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I own one of these basses:

100_2650_zps6abea4dc.gif

and I've been intrigued by a conversation here on TB about three pickup basses and another about adding a Ric neck pup to a bass.

The idea that I have is to replace the current J neck pup with another MM installed so that the rear coil is at the 36th fret location (Ric bridge spot) and install a J pup at the 24th fret location (Ric neck spot). I figure if I use the rear coil on the middle pup and the J pup I ought to get someting in Ric territory. I know it won't sound just like a Ric but close enough for me. I could then use the front coil on the middle pup and either of the coils on the rear pup and get into Jazz territory. Again, not exactly, but close enough. I know there will be hum issues, but good shielding should take care of a lot of that.

How should I do the electronics? I want to have maximum versatility.

Originally I had thought to install three push/push pots so each pickup would have an on/off switch and a tone control. I already have a coil split switch for the rear pup so I'd just need to install another one for the middle pup.

Another idea would be to have a regular tone control for the neck, push/push tone for the middle, and regular tone for the rear pup, and use a 5-way pickup selector switch.

The other idea would be volume/tone stacks for each pickup and an additional coil split switch.

What do you think I should do?

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
  3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I forgot about that. I'm not so much wondering about the overall idea but about wiring designs.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I threw my suggestion in there. I hope someone from the Wiring Team gets here and gives you more ideas. :D

5. llldino

llldino

Dec 16, 2012
    If I were to attempt something this radical, I'd probably have 3 vol pots, a 5 way switch controlling the pickups and a master tone.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021