1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me design my SB4000!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatty Banks, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Okay; so I've finally got enough scrapped together to buy myself an SB4000. And I'm crazy excited. I've already planned to get it with the active electronics, but I'm trying to decide between two wood/stain/color choices.

First off- the 'classic look', which can be found here. I'd get it with a black pickup cover, though.

And secondly, the blonde/black look, which Sekou plays here.

I love both looks and wood choices, but I just can't decide. Tell me which one you like better.

Thanks!

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    If I ONLY Had those 2 choices, it would be the "classic" look for me.

But isnt Carvin offering their usual range of color choices?
    Or are they limiting the color options for this model?

3. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    If it were me I'd get the stock options of Alder body wood and clear gloss finish.

I've always preferred the look of natural wood anyway, but I also hate paying extra money for crazy-a$$, useless cosmetic options. There will also be zero detectable tonal difference between the different woods so there's no need that I can see to pay extra for other than stock woods.

I ordered my bunny that way (except I did get a 5-piece neck - maple with walnut stripes) and even plain-janed out like that it still looks fabulous.....

You'll love it however you configure it tho....

LS

4. I would go for the blonde/black look for sure. I would love to try an SB. If I were to order one, it would just be customized with an ash body, gloss finish, a maple fretboard, abalone dot inlays, single coils, and a black pick guard. I wish I had the money!

5. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I love the natural blonde. Personally, I'd go without a pick guard.

Consider getting piezo electronics. I plan to build a Carvin in the near future and never would have considered getting the piezo option until I heard a sound clip on carvinchannel.com. Granted, it's an LB70 with humbuckers, but the piezo is really something unique. Search for LB70P (or LP70) and you'll find the clip pretty easily.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, of the two I actually like the blond/black look, but Carvin has a wide range of colors and woods available. The classic look is nice, but it does make it more Fender-like. I'd consider doing something a little different but that's me. It will be a sweet bass whatever you decide.

If I ever get another Carvin I think I might go for a SB4000 or SB5000 with umber stain and sunset burst and a black pickguard. The color would look like this one from their current stock page. I think that would be a looker.

101948b.

7. I've owned a few Carvin basses and a couple had the piezo bridge. From my experience, I would not recommend the piezo at all. It added some pretty harsh highs and really did not do much for me.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I liked the piezos for fretless and if I was a solo bass player with a sixer I might like them to add a bit of an "airy" quality but I never ran them soloed. Just not a great tone IMO.