Help me discover more bands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Jan 1, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I dont have enough music to listen to! im currently expanding my tastes and want to get into music with a bit more of a funk feel, while not losing the rock. My definition of this is what Led Zeppelin had going on on presence, especially songs like royal orleans and hots on for nowhere. I need suggestions of bands, and albums are even better. Also, ive heard about the mars volta, as well as they might be giants. what are some good albums to get me started on these guys?
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Want to expand your tastes?

Spyro Gyra - Rites of Summer and Incognito

Yanni - Live at the Acropolis and Ethnicity.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Like I was reminded recently, check out if you have high-speed internet.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you'd like to expand your musical horizons....

James Brown

The JBs

Jethro Tull

Nickel Creek

Stone Temple Pilots

The Temptations/Four Tops

Blind Melon

Tears for Fears

Heuy Lewis & the News

Curtis Mayfield

Just to name a few.....
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Dinking around on iTunes has hipped me to tons of new music. Notably, they are working on a new feature now that offers suggestions based off what you've bought, looked at and what's hot.

Also, That pandora site is pretty radical! I'm really digging it, nice to get a full track instead of a small sample.
  6. Check out Dixie Chicken if you want that hard funk rock feel.
  7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    that site is AWESOME!
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    It is pretty cool. I have found a couple of groups by using Pandora. :bassist:
  9. Another method I discovered in the past year...if you have a CD with some session player whose tone you dig, take the time to chase down other recordings that session player's done. If they're well-established and versatile, it can take you on a whirlwind tour of genres, and you can find some real gems that way.

A link to pull up quick-and-dirty studio credits lists:

Just type in who you're looking for in the box by "Artist Search". A surprising number of artists and recordings are stored in this database.

I then use Amazon to look up the albums to listen to sound clips (where available), so I know what I'm in for. Then it's off to the hunt! I'm shocked how many flippin' AMAZING albums I found this way, and for sinfully low prices (eBay penny auctions, anyone???).

Hope this helps. Have fun! And if you'd like me to recommend any specific recordings that have bent my ear, just ask. :)
  10. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative also makes suggestions for music based on what you selected and then what other people who selected the same thing have purchased.

Pandora is VERY cool and I've discovered many new bands that I would have otherwise never have heard of before. It's free...all you have to do is register with an email address. You can make several different playlists for different artists and then it will play back similar type music. Sweet.