Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me do this!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    OK, I've been trying for about 8 months to get this part of a song right, and I just can't figure it out. I know the notes, but can't figure out the technique.

The song I'm trying to learn is "Carousel" by Blink 182. I can't figure out how to play the part right after the solo at the beginning, where the guitar and drums are playing. Two strings are played at once, but I can't get them to sound right! I'm playing with a pick, so that's not a problem, I just can't get the hang of it.

BTW, I don't want this to turn into a "bash Hoppus" thread, I just want some help from someone better than me.

Thanks!

2. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    First, i am in no way a blink 182 fan (in fact i think they suck),

but... it could be post-recording work, as in a guy with 2 million and 1 knobs and buttons making it sound different.

If when you play the piece it feels right (but doesn't "sound" right) youve probably got it as close as possible.

3. I believe it goes:

D, A, B, G

Just play the root and fifth.

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone have a hard time figuring out a Blink part... not to bash on you though.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You don't need to duplicate the song in it's entirity, getting every last nuance correct, just play what you think sounds good, relative to the songs structure.

5. Heh this reminds me, I was listening to Loveline, A radio talkshow one night and Mark Hoppus was on and some kid about 13-14 years old called in and said "Your my hero Mark Hoppus, Ive learned every single song you play on the bass...". This is of really no importance to this thread but I felt like posting it anyway...

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What did hoppus say?

7. Oh well thank you, Ive strived to be an above average bassist, but I really just try to be the bassist tho (Begins laughing, then Adam Corolla changes the subject)

Seriously thats exactly what he said. Whatever Hoppus keep dreaming :rolleyes:

8. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    It's just a weird structure I've never seen before (in a Blink song or any other) so I wasn't quite sure how to do it.

9. It sounds like the D part is root and major third (D (open string?) and F#) the rest root and fifth.