1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me downsize - affordable gig/jam worthy combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panama, Jan 16, 2012.

1. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Hey all. It's been a long time since I posted on TB. My focus has been at work, home and school for the last 8 months or so.

I was playing a Peavey VB-2 through a 410 and 15 but recently sold the cabs (bills) and now I am selling the head. I am using the money made off of that to purchase a combo amp that will be ok for using during jams and gigs. I don't need ultimate power, but I usually play in indie and punk bands so decent power is desirable. I'm looking to spend around $550. New or used I don't care.

Ideas?

2. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Some amps located locally in my price range:

SWR Silverado Special
    Roland DB-700
    1975 Fender Bassman 10
    Genz Benz 2x10 Neo-X 400

3. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    On more:

1970 Fender Bassman Combo - "Started life as a Bantam Bassman with a strange Yamaha styrofoam speaker and an absurd under-rated output transformer. However, it has a big power transformer and has the traditional late 60's bassman tone stack.

I added a new output transformer, see Fender Output Transformer, Super Reverb, Bassman, Concert, 4/8/16 with M-6 Upgrade It's tapped for 4,8, or 16 ohm application. Also added a re-coned Jensen P15Q with a long throw voice coil. It can handle the higher watts of the new OT.

I had Detroit area amp guru, Dean Zink recap and tweak the normal and bass circuits.

I channel jump from Normal to Bass. It's clean to about 4, breaks up nicely to about 7, then gets rock-n-roll after that. I've had bigger speakers (Jensen Neo, JBL D130), and it plays LOUD with lots of bass."

4. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    damn yo

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Ok, what else do ya need to know?

6. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    I'm just looking for recommendations. I've never ventured into the world of bass combos.

In terms of new amps I am seeing a Fender Rumble 350 and anAshdown MAG C-115-300 EVO II that are in my range.

Does anyone have experience with any of the amps listed in this thread?

7. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Hm. It looks like the Ampeg Portaflex 350+210 cab isn't that far out of my range.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Markbass CMD 102P kicks, as does the Jeff Berlin combo. Both are lightweight compared to many others in their price range.

9. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    GK MB212

had it for a year and it still amazes me every time i get to take it up to gigging volume.

light, powerful, afordable

10. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Beauty. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can check em out locally!

edit: oof that markbass is well out of my range new!

11. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Out of the ones you mentioned, the Silverado Special is probably the best choice. Something like 350w and 2 12s I think. Definitely gigable. SWR makes high quality stuff that sounds great.

The GB combo would probably be good too.

Roland might sound good but I dont know how much power those have.

The Fenders are kind of cool amps, but not really ideal for a main amp. They're best for recording/practice/etc... rather than gigs, especially louder gigs.

12. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    This was going to be my suggestion. Actually there are a couple of PF500 heads and PF cabinets for sale on TB right now. So you could go used and get the PF500 head with more features and power for the same or less than a new PF350/PF210 setup.

13. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Thanks guys!

14. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    How about the Markbass MINI CMD 121P? Too small?

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Had the roland at one time. Wasn't loud or defined enough. Easily lost in a mix. Also owned the silverado. My was a 4x8. Also played the 212. Great amp, but like most SWR amps, it is a "soft" 350. You will definitely need an extension cab to really be heard in a loud setting. Great amp though. Really liked mine.

The bassman is another great sounding amp, but probably will be at the edge with volume

16. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Great info. Thanks!

17. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
  18. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    SWR Workingman 15?

19. With an external cabinet and DI 550W is not too small.. Maybe the size is too small even with a 12" cone.

20. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    Acoustic B200 1x15 combo.