Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me epoxy my fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have baught the system 3 epoxy now i have searched the luthier threads on the correct way to apply the epoxy to get a mirror like finish, and i cannot find the information. I am pretty sure wilser posted it but i just cant find it. Help me out!

Thanks in advance.

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Here's how I did it. Apply in an extremely well-lit and dust free environment with a foam applicator.
    Check it the next day. Lightly sand any high spots, (usually embedded dust) and reapply a second thin coat. Sand it again going up to 1200. If there are no pits or embeddings, encountered along the way you can start the polishing process. I added a third coat, repeated the sanding process and then went up to 2000 or so grit, then used 0000 steel wool followed by auto polish rubbing compound.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Luke you used system 3? When I have used it the second day it was still tacky.....t

4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I don't remember the exact time span in hours, but I applied System 3 Mirror Coat on a Saturday and was sanding on a Sunday. It Could have been over 30 hours...

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I remember a post where a guy epoxied his SX jazz and the fretboard turned white... how does one avoid this?