Help me EQ for a room

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chardin, Jan 17, 2003.

1. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Last Sunday our praise and worship was asked to play a few songs in a medium sized gathering area. The room had about 50 people in it so I grabbed my SWR Workingman's 12. We didn't have time for a sound check so I plug in and leave the EQ where I usually have it; bass and mid flat, highs cut to 9 o'clock, Aural Enhancer set to 8 o'clock.

The first song starts and every note I play goes BOOM. I quickly reach for the bass knob and dial it back. The boom goes away but now everything sounds thin and anemic.

In the future, how can I set the EQ for a strange room in a hurry? The EQ section on the WM is OK but very limited. Thanks for your help.
    Chris Hardin
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but it is: Soundcheck :rolleyes:

I think it´s fairly impossible to EQ an amp without trying it out in the room first.

Maybey it can be done...But I at least don´t know how.
  3. Whenever I can't soundcheck for any reason (prior gig and late arrival, move into cocktail hour room from stage to cover a pre-heat, etc.), I do the following:

1) Set all EQ to flat.
    2) As part of item 1, I set all low/high/mid-scoop filtration to OFF. This would include Aphex, BBE, and compressor units; I set them to bypass if I'm using them.
    3) Set amp input volume to 12:00.
    4) Set amp master volume and drive to 9-10 o'clock. (G-K 400RB, older model.)
    5) Passive basses: set volume and tone to max; active basses: set volume control to the middle, set all tone controls to flat.

From that point, I check volume first, tone second. It's easier to come up in volume than to be too loud at first -- especially in a praise & worship situation. My tone may be a bit lifeless until I tweak it -- but it is unlikely to be REALLY off-putting at the start.

Keep the EQ settings light, and add mids a little to be clearly heard. Works for me in most of the situations I face.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I do a similar thing to Ronzo but I've also been know to take it one further in rooms like the one you described - bottoms are either BOOMY or OFF and nothing in between.

If I'm using 2 speaker cabs, I disconnect one. It removes the coupling effect of the bottom end and gives you something you can work with.

I really hate these rooms. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a big echo chamber, lots of shiny hard surfaces. Either that or the stage was it's own seperate little bedroom. These rooms are inconsistent. I think it's sounding thin, but it's boomin where the guitarist is standing. Imagine his face when I add more bottom end......
  5. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Thanks for the help. Just to be clear, there was no time for a soundcheck since the audience was already in the room. We were told to show up and plug in.

Petebass, I like your suggestion of lifting the cabinet off the floor.