Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me EQ for a room

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chardin, Jan 17, 2003.

1. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Last Sunday our praise and worship was asked to play a few songs in a medium sized gathering area. The room had about 50 people in it so I grabbed my SWR Workingman's 12. We didn't have time for a sound check so I plug in and leave the EQ where I usually have it; bass and mid flat, highs cut to 9 o'clock, Aural Enhancer set to 8 o'clock.

The first song starts and every note I play goes BOOM. I quickly reach for the bass knob and dial it back. The boom goes away but now everything sounds thin and anemic.

In the future, how can I set the EQ for a strange room in a hurry? The EQ section on the WM is OK but very limited. Thanks for your help.
    ---
    Chris Hardin

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but it is: Soundcheck :rolleyes:

I think it´s fairly impossible to EQ an amp without trying it out in the room first.

Maybey it can be done...But I at least don´t know how.

3. Whenever I can't soundcheck for any reason (prior gig and late arrival, move into cocktail hour room from stage to cover a pre-heat, etc.), I do the following:

1) Set all EQ to flat.
    2) As part of item 1, I set all low/high/mid-scoop filtration to OFF. This would include Aphex, BBE, and compressor units; I set them to bypass if I'm using them.
    3) Set amp input volume to 12:00.
    4) Set amp master volume and drive to 9-10 o'clock. (G-K 400RB, older model.)
    5) Passive basses: set volume and tone to max; active basses: set volume control to the middle, set all tone controls to flat.

From that point, I check volume first, tone second. It's easier to come up in volume than to be too loud at first -- especially in a praise & worship situation. My tone may be a bit lifeless until I tweak it -- but it is unlikely to be REALLY off-putting at the start.

Keep the EQ settings light, and add mids a little to be clearly heard. Works for me in most of the situations I face.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I do a similar thing to Ronzo but I've also been know to take it one further in rooms like the one you described - bottoms are either BOOMY or OFF and nothing in between.

If I'm using 2 speaker cabs, I disconnect one. It removes the coupling effect of the bottom end and gives you something you can work with.

I really hate these rooms. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a big echo chamber, lots of shiny hard surfaces. Either that or the stage was it's own seperate little bedroom. These rooms are inconsistent. I think it's sounding thin, but it's boomin where the guitarist is standing. Imagine his face when I add more bottom end......

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Thanks for the help. Just to be clear, there was no time for a soundcheck since the audience was already in the room. We were told to show up and plug in.

Petebass, I like your suggestion of lifting the cabinet off the floor.