1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me figure out the best DI solution for me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creis2, Mar 12, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I never put much thought into DI until lately. Trying to figure out the best and most economical way to do it. It will help with future gigs, to tell the soundman what I want.

From the pedals (use a Sansamp DI, or buy a DI and put it after my pedals).

or

Use the DI coming off my head.

I have a Genz Streamliner and Ashdown ABM, both great heads with good DI's.

Not really interested in spending a lot of money, even better if I don't have to.

Is there an advantage to one or the other?

2. Everyone raves about the Streamliner DI, got mucho gas?

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You could buy an expensive DI. Without knowing what amp head you have it will be hard for anyone to know how good the built in DI is. Never heard of a sound guy turning down a SansAmp, so with the available information, I would say the SansAmp is your best bet. Until very recently I always used the out on my SansAmp RBI. It's very nice.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    FWIW, my Streamliner has one of the best sounding DIs I've ever heard, and I've used alot of them... If your pedals are before your amp, why not use the Streamliner's DI??? If the pedals are in the loop instead, it becomes more complicated...

- georgestrings

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hmm. Guess I should read more carefully.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I wouldn't buy anything if I were you. Between the amps and SansAmp you already have at least two good options at hand.

7. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Well I don't own a Sansamp at the moment, it's just an option. I use a VT Bass pedal. My main 90% use head is the Ashdown, the DI sounds fine.

Just wondering if there is a more desired option. Just doing some research here.

I run a pretty simple setup.

Passive Bass>pedal tuner>pedal compressor (only use it when recording)>overdrive pedal>VT Bass Pedal>Amp.

The VT bass does most of the eq'ing. A few minor tweeks on my head, then right into the cab.

I have a very dirty old school tone, so I'm defiantly not a tone snob.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd just go out of the amp. Nothing wrong with the DI's in them, and you already have a VT so the Sansamp would be overkill.

9. agreed. Just used the Genz DI last week (out of a 6.0 Shuttle, although I have a Streamliner too), and there's nothing more you need to go into a PA.

Unrelated question and actually non-bass - are the Sansamp products for guitar preamps that you can go DI out straight into the PA as well?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some Sansamp stuff does, some of it doesn't. Consult the specs for whichever one you're looking at.

11. Hell no, not you sir, no tone snobs here, never would 'cuse 'nuth'r man o' that!

12. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    With an Ashdown and a Streamliner it would be hard to argue against that accusation though :D

The Streamliner is the best DI i have ever heard (or is it not heard?).. and i understand that the Ashdown is not to shabby either so I would use the amps DI..for sure you dont need yet another DI!

13. I use the sans amp RBI and it solved all my previous issues. The mid control is handy. Just think of the blend knob as a style control at 1 o'clock it sounds really big and full similar to a tube amp but turn it down some and it gives you a more transparent tone that's good for funk tapping and that kinda Vibe. The eq is very extreme so I keep mine relatively flat if I boost or cut its only to 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock. The presence knob I use as my "string life" control. If i have brand new strings I turn it down some then i turn it up as the strings get older and it helps keep that new string sound for little longer.