1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me figure out these chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by project_c, May 23, 2012.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Guys, I need your help if you have a spare second, I'm trying to figure out the exact chords in this small loop, can anyone give me a hand? I've attached a small mp3, hope it works.

View attachment montgomery.mp3

The tune is 'Journey to the Bottom' by Monk Montgomery, the section I'm talking about can be heard at 0.27 (and then repeated throughout the tune).

thanks!

2. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    ps. the recording on youtube is probably from vinyl and is not completely in tune, but I've tuned the attached sample above so it should make this easier to figure out.

3. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    well, I got no replies, but after fighting with it for a day or two, i figured them out (I think..).
    In case anyone cares :) , the four chords are Bbmin7 (add9), Dbmin, Gbmin9 and Fdim.

4. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Naming these chords is a pain in the arse!! I don't think I know what's going on at all in this piece of the music - I've tried to listen for the tones, describing this as a series of chords is another matter...

Chord 1 - I agree that Bbm is enough - can't detect the add9, maybe not listening hard enough.

Chord 2 - Bass plays C# - keys play C#, F#, B, D# - this is B over C# with the B triad in second inversion. So you could write it B/C#.

Chord 3 - bass is playing F# and G# at a 9th interval. Keys are playing E and C# possibly with G# to make a C#m triad. So that's like C#m/F9

So far I've got chord 4 as B in the bass, keys play E A D F#. Which could be E13 second inversion.

I found that pretty tough - pretty odd sounding sequence! I probably made a couple of mistakes there but tried my best!

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    It is tough - I'm basically hearing Falt7 voiced through that whole 3-4 seconds. I figure I'm missing something and that this info may not be of much help, so I didn't post it last night. However, Falt7 (F7 (b9#9b5#5)) is not inconsistent with much of what milt posted.

6. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks man! I knew there was a reason for the big silence. It's a really weird tune. I have about 3 pieces of paper with different chords written out, all of which work with the tune, but none of which are entirely correct, and most of which I don't have names for.. The chords I came up with above work with the bassline and the melody (more or less), but I'm going to give your suggestions a try, I have a REALLY tough time figuring keyboard parts out for some reason so thanks for letting me know what notes the keys are playing, that really helps a great deal. (Guitar and bass parts are usually not a problem because the individual notes are so easy to pick out, but strange chords played on keys confuse my ears).

Thanks for this info also - it all helps.

7. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    No worries! - I agree with fretless also - I think it's good to look for some kind of underlying pattern - which I couldn't find!!

So could be a good idea to try and get the hang of what kind of general idea the musicians were onto. As you can see there's not much linking the bass and keys if you look at each chord separately, also the chords whizz past so not much thought could have gone into each one. - What I mean is, I'm not sure the level of complexity is through deliberate design it could just be stumbled upon.

8. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Actually I think - mostly thanks to your info about the keyboard notes - something close to a pattern emerges. I'm playing the keyboard chords on a guitar, and in terms of chord-shapes, the second 2 chords are the same as the first 2, but just moved up by a minor 3rd. I could be wrong but it sounds ok when I play along to the loop. Whether that's a pattern or not, who knows...

(ps I'm muting the bottom E & A string on the guitar for the whole loop so I don't repeat or add any more notes than necessary)

9. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Yes you're right because chord 2 could be C#13. So you'd have Bm C#13 C#m E13.

I figured out that if you play B phrygian you cover all the notes in 1 and 2, and if you play C# phrygian you cover 3 and 4. So that's the same notes as F#major, then A major. So it's like it's chords iii and V in key of F#, then iii and V in key of A.

I don't know if that's a helpful way of seeing it or not... It seems too simple.

10. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Yeah, but maybe there's just not that much clever thinking behind the tune, in which case 'too simple' would make a lot of sense. As you said, the melodic bass part doesn't fit in too well with the chords either way, which would suggest that perhaps they didn't over think it too much. Still, thanks for your help with this tune, I really appreciate it.