1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me figure out what I have here - Fender P content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merrill2121, Dec 18, 2017.

1. merrill2121

merrill2121

Jun 8, 2007
    Hey all,

Long time TBer here, but getting back into bass after a few year hiatus. I made a bid on a bass on ebay recently knowing that I wanted to get back into playing again. Didn't think I'd get it for my bid but I got it, and I was the only bidder. I thought that was a red flag so I figured I'd see what arrived in the mail. I got it today and initially I am really loving the tone and playability. So I count that as a win. I'm going to describe what I think this bass is. All you knowledgeable Fender guys and gals out there, help me figure this out!

This was advertised as a 2015-2016 Classic 50's Precision in Honey Blonde. I believe it to be a Classic 50's P body in Honey Blonde but the serial number on the neck indicates a Classic 50's Road Worn Precision. The neck certainly has some wear on it consistent with photos I've seen from that series. I don't know the extent that they put wear on the fingerboard, but I think this bass has quite a bit of wear beyond the factory Road Worn finish.

One issue I had is that I pulled the neck and pickguard off and could not find a serial number on the body. Am I missing something? I know the black pickguard is not original.

It also came with the Fender hard case, but I think it was made for a Jazz bass, not a Precision based on the fit.

Anyways, even if this is a bit of a parts bass, I am really digging playing it so I'm not going to worry too much over whether I got a good deal or not. However, I am curious.... I got the bass and case for just under $500

Could anyone weigh in on their thoughts? Am I correct in my assumption that this is a Classic 50's P body with a Classic 50's Road Worn neck? Or was there a run of Road Worn P's in Honey Blonde that I am not aware of? (The body is definitely not Road Worn.)

Also, here are some issues that I'm wondering whether or not they are serious and require attention:
    -One of the screw holes on the neck is stripped
    -There is a depression on the body underneath the metal plate where the screws go in to connect to the neck. I've tried to capture it in a picture.

Thanks all!!

Attached Files:

2. That is definitely not a Roadworn body as they never came in tha color. However the neck does look a little like a RW. The dents are from over tightening the screws. Don't do that again. The rest I'll leave to the experts who should be along shortly.

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Look like Squier matt freeman body. Try take off the bridge ,confirm if there have redrill and realign screws hole.

Anyway, this pbass look nice for me. Much better than deep blue pbass with suck gold pearl pickguard at another TB thread.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  4. merrill2121

merrill2121

Jun 8, 2007
    Thanks for the info! I'm really curious what this body is. Couldn't find any serial numbers on it but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place?

I'd be a little bummed to find out this is a Squier body. Can you elaborate on what I'm looking for underneath the bridge? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    There usually aren't serial numbers on the body - they're usually on the neck or neck plate...

6. merrill2121

merrill2121

Jun 8, 2007
    Okay, that's good to know. To be honest I assumed that the body would have some kind of identifier on it. I do have a serial number on the neck and I am now certain that the neck and body are from two different models, so I am curious how to find out (if it's possible) what the body is.

7. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I think Yahboy might be right, but I'm not sure about that - given that it's a parts bass, I don't think it really matters all that much exactly what body it is, as long as it plays, sounds, and looks good - a good piece of wood is a good piece of wood...

Regarding the neck joint issues - toothpicks and wood glue will fix the stripped hole - I'd check the others for soundness, since it's obvious the neck bolts have been over tightened... You can pick up a Fender type neck plate gasket off ebay for under $5 that will cover the indentation into the body - that's what I would do...

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I own Squier CV pbass and I swap the stock hi mass bridge with fender vintage bridge.
    The stock himass bridge screw holes distance from end to end is wider than standard fender bend plate bridge. I need refill and redrill for the bend plate bridge install.
    So, there have a mark of previous screw holes if your bass body is CV mattfreeman.

Hopehelp

9. merrill2121

merrill2121

Jun 8, 2007
    Yeah I hear what you're saying about the body. I guess what I am thinking about is the pickups/electronics that come with the classic 50's P vs those that come with a Squier and not the actual piece of wood itself. But perhaps those have been changed as well, I'll have to take a look at the pickups.

Thanks for the tips about fixing up the stripped holes and the gasket for the plate. I'll plan to fix up the holes as soon as I can.

I'll check that out! Thanks!

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Definitely Roadworn neck. Non original pickguard. Non original wiring. The paint residue and lack of any identifiers in the neck pocket make me think non-Fender or Squier. Definitely a parts hound.

11. merrill2121

merrill2121

Jun 8, 2007
    I have some new details! Slowly shedding light on this....thing....

I removed the pickguard again to get a look at and under the pickups. See attached pictures. I found, stamped on the body underneath the pickups 'A59876'. My very quick, initial google search didn't turn up very much.

I also found a number on the bottom of the pickup itself 'PBA1-BK'. My very quick initial search on this indicates it is a pickup from a Squier. Check it out I'm not super stoked on that.

As for the previous mention about checking underneath the bridge for filled/re-drilled holes, I did that and found nothing but a grounding wire sticking up. Also shown in attached picture.

Can anyone shed any light on the number stamped on the body?

Thanks everyone for your input so far! Much appreciated

Attached Files:

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I can't offer any help on what it may be, but as long as it sounds and plays in a way that makes you happy, that's what matters. I just hope that whatever you paid is in line with whatever it ends up being and you didn't get ripped off.

13. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    A Road Worn neck by itself is about $350, so if you got a case as well, you did fine. I'd upgrade the pickups if you like and enjoy. That neck is quite good.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I think you did pretty well on a great looking bass. It appears somebody used a jackhammer to tighten the neck bolts. The color looks like a 50’s classic. Can you see the wood grain thru the paint? My classic 50s had a light topcoat where you could still see grain thru it. Even thou it’s a parts bass it appears to be well done and those roadwork necks are killer.

15. merrill2121

merrill2121

Jun 8, 2007
    No wood grain, very thick poly finish. Your right that it mostly looks well done except for the stripped neck holes and damaged body back there. Wish it had the stock pups on there though....

bassbully likes this.
  16. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I wouldn't worry about the pickups so much - grab a set of Duncan SPB-1s, and you're good to go...

Zoobiedood likes this.
  17. If you’re really loving the tone and playability, then I would say $500 isn’t too much to have paid. Don’t sweat the Squier parts!

Mammoth_Bass likes this.
  18. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    +1 to this

bassbully likes this.
  19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Then It’s not a 50s classic. No worries play that suka.....

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Squier pickups sound pretty good. No need to change it. Don't look down on it because it is Squier. I have two MIA Fender Ps and I play my Squier Matt Freeman a lot still.

Plus you already said you like it, so I don't get the problem. Do they sound good? That should be the only important thing, not who made them.