help me figure this out please!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 1, 2004.

1. hello,
    i'd like to get a 2x10 or 2x12 to add to my peavey 200watt head (4 ohm)
    right now its running my 1810 (4 ohms) and i would like to add another cab (a 2x10 or something...something small).

two questions...
    1.)would this add to the volume? or would the total volume running to each cab halved?
    2.) if this is possible, will i need a 16 ohm cab? i did the math, and i think the total resistance is 3.2. is that close enough?

so i guess the question that stems from that would be are there bass cabs that are 16 ohms?

2. I don't know if a 16 ohm cab would add much volume or not. I'm not saying I don't think it will, I honestly don't know.

What I do know is you can convert a 4 ohm 2x10 cab to a 16 ohm cab by switching from parallell to series wiring.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    # 1 you can convert a 4 ohm cabinet (which would be 2 ohm 10" spekers wired in parralell) to a 16 ohm cabinet by wiring the spekers to series.

#2 you don't want to do that.

the resultant 16 ohm cabinet will be very very quiet compared to you 4 ohm cabinet - you wouldn't notice the extra volume at all. Besides, you can't use any more cabinets off of your head - it is already running a 4 ohm load
  4. ah ha. i see....

anyways, i see what you are saying.
    i have a new thread to start now...

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. Run that amp at anything less than 4 ohms, you stand a very good change of frying the amp.