Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me finalize my theory and new metal!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Noobai, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alrighty, Im trying to mix something into a form of music I love, that I want to form a band around.

Im trying to find a middle ground between two genres.

Genre number one. Epic (generally Fantasy) Metal and Power Metal.

Bands like Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, etc. I ADORE the EPIC sound behind them and a lot of the chord progressions.

Genre 2. Nu-Metal. Im still a nu-metaler at heart. I love the heavy tones, and (predictable) chord progressions, from bands like Chevelle, System, Lost Prophets, etc.

What I want. The crunchy tone and progression of nu-metal with the epic sound and melody of power metal.

The chord progressions and predicatability Ive got down through strict theory. THe melodic harmonies of power-metal Ive also gotten down through theory.

The heavy tone, is the dropping of steps and weirder tunings.

What I need to find is that epic sound. My two things that Ive come to are...

Vocals;

Blind Guardians vocalist (Hansi) and Iced Earth's choir like effects give the music a very epic sound.

Percussion;

Correct use of percussion (tympany type sounds) makes a more of a solid sound

most importantly

Pauses;

This applies to all bands. Really good bands use pauses to blow things way out of proportion (think Pink Floyd) and I feel this is the number one thing that needs to be mastered.

Add in opinions, I want to finalize this concept and get working on writing stuff.

Also, any guitarists/drummers/singers looking to start a band like this in the Washington State area? You have a bassist
    :bassist:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Symphony X's The Odyssey is totally like that too IMO.

3. I think if you listened to some Slayer you'd change your mind about the whole nu-metal situation.
    Death Metal Man!!!!!:bassist: :D

4. I wouldnt really call slayer death metal.