1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find a 410 match to my GK 800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JDeewond, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Hey TB, I recently bought a GK 800rb after playing a gig where they had it as backline with a SVT fridge. I was in the market for a new head and that night, I felt like I could take on the world. Browsed used until I got my hands on one and now I'm looking to buy a 410 to complete it.

A bit about me, I play in a somewhat heavy rock band with 2 loud gui****s, an even louder drummer, and keys to complement the rest. I play a SR5 95% of the time. I like an aggressive tone, think Tool around Eulogy/Ænema, I like the articulate mids and the thunderous growl with some highs and I might even consider a 15-ish paired with 10s if that means I get the tone I want and can get everything in my car easily.

I'd love to be able to get everything used rather easily even if that means 2-3 months of scavenging and wait.

Sorry for the long post, but I have faith with these extra tidbits you'll get a better idea of what I want, I'm all ears!

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I'd recommend a Berg NV610 - works great with my 800, easier to move than a 410, and will sound better than the fridge.

4. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I'm using a GK Neo 410 with my 800RB and lovin' it. :bassist:

5. Thank chef for the rec. I've seen those RBH around a lot and I haven't tried one yet, will definitely stop by gc to test the head with it. Those GK cabs sure aren't beauties though.

Man, that NV610 is absolutely sexy. I don't know how I would go about finding one up here but I sure will try, looks like this would fit nicely in the backseat of my sentra :). How much would a used one typically go for?

6. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    My Schroeder 210212 is light weight and rocks completely - not a 4 x 10 but about the same size because of the way the speakers are placed. Highly recommend.

7. Holy crap, Schroeder? Looks wicked! But my guess is that whoever buys one knows exactly what they want and would not part with it so easily. I'm looking for something fairly accessible, thanks though!

8. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    I had good luck with Hartke 410/115xl configuration with the 800rb.

9. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I've played some backline provided gigs where they had an 800RB paired with a Hartke 4x10 aluminum cone/no tweeter cab (don't know the model name) and I thought it sounded pretty good. I personally have a Schroeder 1515L that I use with my 800RB that works well for an old school tone. That Schroeder is an extremely efficient cab that puts out a lotta sound when driven by the 800RB ... might be a good cab to help you keep up with your high SPL bretheren.

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    NV 610 or NV215. Both have great speed and airmovement (don't be fooled by the 15's, they rock with clarity and a tweeter that I turn off).

I use both at times with either an old svt, crest/demeter or gk800 and they both sound great with any combination I toss at them.

800rb's are solid!

11. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    Found my Schroeder used on ebay ;-)

12. Very niiice

13. JEDBass

JEDBass

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    I ran my GK 410RBH and 210RBH cabs with a 1001RB most of the time, but also have ran them with an 800RB. Sounded great with both heads.

One thing I want to mention is that the RBH cabs (at least the ones I had) could only properly hook up to the 800RB if you did one of two things:

1.) Ran into the 1/4" full range input
    2.) Used the speakon input with only a 2-conductor cable (which effectively cut out the horn entirely)

Keep this in mind and I think you'll be pleased with that nice growly GK sound. Also, even though it wasn't the lightest 2x10 by any means, I loved my 210RBH for the fact it could be setup "kickback" style with it's 45 degree corners. Great for both practicing and gigging!

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Both my G.K. heads, (old 800 and a new MB2-500), sound great through my two 8 ohm Avatar Neo 210 cabinets.
    www.avatarspeakers.com

15. kcarr

kcarr

Aug 26, 2010
    Statesboro,GA

16. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I'll agree with the Hartke recommendation here. I ended up buying the Hartke AK410, one of their "new" cabinet lines. I like it so much I'm going to get a second one.

17. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    One more recommendation - a couple of Bag End S15D's - really a great tonal combination. Punchy, lots of mids, old school type grind. Very portable too. Also, their high sensitivity really gets the most out of the 800.

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i use an 800rb and a berg hs 410. haven't had a chance to try out an nv 610, but i really dig my set up. :cool:

19. Seeing that many suggested Hartke(heartache?) I'll give them a try, I know they have a couple at a nearby gc.

I'll be trying my best to find some x10 bergs to try, either 410 or 610, I dig the looks. I also tried a 112(never found out about the series) not too long ago with an MTD and a GK MB head and it sounded alright!

Why Avatar over, say, Ampeg? What are the major sonic differences?

20. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    There was a time when I used an Eden 410 with my 800RB. There is one for sale in the classifieds here at TB. They're not light in weight but if you're looking at not carrying an 810 I would think this would be worth a look.

Wally

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021