Help me find a bass based on these specs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThePaste, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Alright, I think I've decided on the specs I want, they are changable of course because I don't think I'm qualified to design my own bass (that's what people charge LOTS of money for!), but anyways, here's what I think I want, please tell me if something shouldn't be or what you think of the specs, and if a bass currently has them:

35" scale

4 string (with E string detuner to go down to C#)

Single pickup (by bridge, ala MM Stingray)

Not quite sure which body design

Headstock design like Warwick, or the 3+1 of the MM)

Either Stacked Knob like the Fender 5 string (where on knob is inside/on top of the other) or a 3 band preamp

One volume control

Pretty high output (at LEAST more than my Squier PJ)

Either all white with black hardware or wood (not sure which kind, maybe flamed maple)

The bridge like on the Peavey Millenium 5 that was reviewed in bass player (I think it was a Schaller 2000 3d)

I think that's basicly it. I'm not sure what different components sound like, so I need to go to GC to test different basses. The list was put together just from what I've read on so if I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I'm not sure exactly what I want. Thanks anyway haha.
  2. :)

That's what I was thinking. Do his basses have quick/tight string response/tension? I know it depends on the string but in general... I was thinking about DP custom when I wrote this but I was wondering if there were any other basses.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    theres very few bass companies that do the 35" scale neck on a 4 string. If you can find one that does your gonna be lucky if you find all the other stuff you want. Your best bet would be a custom. Its gonna be close to impossible to find that bass already built. I checked out that dpcustom website once and they seemed to have real good prices for custom. Theres always warmoth too. those are about your only options unless you get extremely lucky.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Really no need for a 35" neck on a 4-string, even if you're going to C#. Also, two pickups better than one. It increases the tonal variety a lot.

If it were me (and it's not), I'd keep the 35" scale and add the B string. Then you'd have a real bass.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Flea is 34", unlike the standard Modulus 4, which is 35". And yeah, I'm fairly certain they still make the Sweetspot models. Which, I think are some great basses.