1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find a bass more comfortable than what I own now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rainbownorth, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Ok, so I posted something similar in general instruction.Im going into my local guitar shop today...im waiting for a meeting at 6pm, so what better place to wait :D ? Im sort of serious about buying something new, but i dont have a lot of money....around 1000 new zealand is my uppermost limit.Which might mean nothing to you guys, so heres what it can get me as a guide:

A Fender mex p-bass
    A Warwick Rockbass Fortress - both are dead on or round about 1000.

the reason i wanna upgrade is that, atm, Im stuck with a Cort C action Series. Its ok, but pretty entry level really. And its terribly uncomfortable to play, i find ill have to adjust strap length for maybe 8 out of 10 different songs, and if i dont, my fretting hand just starts to hurt...its just kinda unstable when you play.Plus, the tones ok, but nothing super.

So what im asking is, who knows of a good bass (oh-also available in lefty format) for around the same price as those stated above, that sits comfortably and plays well? Jeez, i hope im not asking too much here.Id rather not go used, simply because you have NO idea how difficult it is to find a used left handed bass at all, let alone a good one, let alone a specific make and model.

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Personally, if you think your basses are uncomfy, the warwick weighs a lot. IME.

I'd go with the Fender MIM p-bass. Good and damn reliable!

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I don't think anybody is going to be able to tell you what's going to be most comfortable for you. Some people like P-bass necks, some like J, some people like really light basses, some like em to weigh a lot, some like wide string spacing, 34 inch, 35 inch, short scale, lotsa EQ options, just a volume and tone... the list goes on and on. I'd suggest holding out for a while and trying to get your hands on as many basses as possible then making your choice. By the time you know what you like you'll have been able to save up enough money to get yourself to the next level. The 2 basses you mentioned are still entry level basses. Ya might want to shoot for the real warwick, american fender or best yet - an ERNIE BALL musicman. :) In america all the basses I just mentioned are only a few hundred dollars more. No idea how that relates to your CRAZY money over there. :)

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a spector euro!

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You should post up front that you're looking for lefty basses.

That reduces the number of options dramatically, unfortunately.

You should do what you can to figure out the aspects that you like and are comfortable for you -- narrow vs. wide string spacing, thick vs. thin neck, scale, etc., then ask for recommendations for basses which fit your preferences.

6. Ok then....real warwicks are WAY out of my range. Theyre a good 1500 more than what i wanna pay.

As for specifying what id like in a new bass, here goes:
    -Im not worried about active basses, eq options,all i want is a couple of tone knobs and volume control, im more worried about the inherent tone of the bass, not how minutely i can later the tone.
    - Ideally i dont want a heavy bass, im a short person with stumpy hands....
    - So id prefer a short neck, string spacings are no big deal.
    - I guess i should try wider and narrower necks to compare, but i have a feeling a slightly wider neck may suit me slightly better.
    - Im playing with what i think is a 34 inch now.
    - I really, REALLY, cant afford any more money than the stated limit, so real warwicks, american fenders, and the enrie ball are so far out of my price range theyre in another universe. (the ebmm is 4500 here, and the warwicks arent far off either)

If this helps narrow it down to something that might suit me better, recommend away...if not thats cool. I wasnt gonna buy IMMEDIATELY anyway, but it helps to have an idea of what im looking for considering how scant the left handed options are.

7. They dont make MIM P-bass fenders in lefty. I know, Im in the same boat as you. They do make MIM jazz's, though, but it has a very different sound from the P so i dont know if thats what your looking for.

8. That sucks. Im pretty sure the js are a little more than what i wanna pay anyway.This is part of the reason i was attracted to warwick, simply because they can get me a left handed (or fretless, or both, for that matter) at no extra cost.

9. The bass situation here is pretty dire isn't it! Particularly for lefty's (I'm lefty but play right handed, so I'm lucky). The selection of left handed basses is pretty poor all up. K Rd Rock Shop is the best bet overall (they have a little lefty wall in the bass room (and they have a bass room :eek: !)). I have no recall of what they had in there last time I was there. Atwaters also have a little lefty section, again I can't recall what was there but it was likely Yamaha and Schecter.
    Both of whom make nice basses (usually for over $1000NZ)

The Cort you have is not a bad bass for the money (I played one recently). To be honest, new you're not actually gonna get anything that much better than the Cort for $1000NZ. Yamaha and Schecter and Fender make some decent basses around that price which are available locally, some as lefty's, but if it's not in stock you pretty much have to agree to buy it when it comes in, whatever it's like...

The one true lefty deal I know about in Auckland is that North Shore Rock Shop had a lefty Ibanez ATK 300 (which is what I play) for around $700 last time I was there, and lefty basses don't shift too fast. If I were you, I'd give them a call and check it out if it's still there. They're sorta like Stingrays, but much cheaper. 3 different sounds from the triple coil pickup, and I love 'em. Definitely a step up from the Cort I think. I paid $400 for my 305 (5 string version of same) and $400 for my ATK 300, but of course those were from trademe, so a shop is going to charge more. It's still a great lefty bass, and not too bad a price. Given that it's been there for months if it's still there, you may be able to bring down the price with some careful negotiations and a wad of cash...

The other option of course is to do what I do and try trademe. But that takes a long time, and you often can't try before you buy. That said, it has served me well.

I don't work for any of these shops, just trying to help out.
    Have fun bass shopping.
    Steve

10. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I went into a couple music stores on my recent trip to NZ, and man, you guys sure pay through the nose for American basses! I would get the Mex P myself, but maybe not at the prices you guys have to pay. Small price to pay for all that beautiful scenery, though!

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I only own two electric basses, and I disassembled both of them, completely re-contoured their bodies, and refinished them. The first was my '71 P-bass, which underwent "the transformation" about twenty-five years ago; the latest was a Brawley 5-string just a few years ago.

The reasons I do this are: (1) I haven't yet found an affordable bass with a comfortable body; (2) I don't care about resale value because I intend to keep these basses until I quit playing; (3) I'm a furniture maker for whom such little adventures are a form of play; (4) I honestly believe both basses are far better now than they were straight from the factory.

In addition to making these bass bodies far more comfortable, the re-contouring also reduced their weight a little.

My solution may not work for everyone, but if you're thoroughly dissatisfied with your current bass, what have you got to lose?

13. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I just pulled up a currency calculator so I could see for myself...

1000 New Zealand Dollars = 661.19 USD

A MIM P Bass is $460.00 shipped in the US.
    Or you could say a P bass in The States runs 700 NZD shipped.

I was going to say that, though I don't own one, the Fender J bass is one of the more comfortable basses I've tried in stores.

At almost $700 US, I just don't know...Don't scratch it off the list but... that's alot for MIM.

(I, personally, haven't but I want to test-drive a Rockbass.)

Play a J Bass though and maybe try to find a well built J bass copy.
    It is a comfortable design.
    (Your mileage may vary.)

Good luck in your search,

Chad

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i find fenders ridiculously heavy. my student's P weighs as much as my 6-string.

second on the spector euro, but not sure how much it will cost you. its a really nice bass.

15. I don't know of anyone bringing spectors into the country.

Musiciansfriend, zzounds etc. will not ship to NZ because of the exclusive import deals that the local chains have signed with the local distributors, which is part of what keeps those prices nice and high... So if you want to import from the US, you have to take a chance on ebay, pay a whole lot of shipping, and if you need to return it, you're sooooo outta luck.

Mexi Jazz will cost around $1299NZ, can usually haggle around 10% off for cash so around $1200 NZ = US$800. The used market is similarly overpriced, although occasionally on trademe (local ebay-type site) gems will come up (see my earlier post).

Steve

16. Thanks for the advice there guys, youve given me lots to think about. I was SO disappointed when i actually went in to the shop. They didnt have a single lefty bass. So i might go in ask them to get something in from another store for me to try. I refuse to buy something i cant test drive first.

17. Which shop did you go to?
    If you really want to try out lefty basses, call around the shops before you leave home, and ask what they've got at the time. You'll probably need a good few hours to drive around Auckland on a Saturday or a weekday.

I'd suggest calling the K Rd and North Shore Rock Shops, Atwaters, Musical Sounds, Musicworks North Shore and Go West. Make a day of it and have some fun, but skip the shops that have no lefties in stock!

Steve

18. Over the weekend I went to 6 stores, the only thing they had in lefty was the beginner ibanez. I had a guy from Guitar Central (great place btw) call around to all the shops in the area seeing what he could find. NOTHING! What Im guessing you and I will both have to do is try out the basses right handed version, then order the lefty. It so bad Im considering learning to play righty, even if it feels kinda weird (thats not really an option for you :p ).

19. Actually, what i might do is get a right handed friend to test drive some for me, if they wont let me do what ive just said ill do....get him to play some osngs of my choice on instruments of my choice, and then find out if they come in left handed. A reasonable idea?

20. Sounds good to me. I would still hold it just too see if you like the feel along with the sound.