Help me find a certain style

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    On the song 500 miles high by Chick Corea and Return to Forever there's a little keyboard intro and I really like whatever kind of style playing it is. I'd like to find music with this kind of playing in it but I don't know what to look for. If anybody could check this song out and respond I'd be greatly appreciative.

Sorry if this doesn't belong in recordings, I wasn't really sure.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well of course it is Chick Corea and you could look for other albums of his - but this is very "light" - Light as a Feather!! ;)

Butthis is a very much-loved album and quite different from a lot of what Corea and the band did.

So - the main difference is the inclusion of Airto and Flora Purim and in the sleeve notes Corea tells how he got Airto to play the songs and after hearing his Brazilian percussion approach it all changed and became lighter - he wanted to capture that feeling.

Also - the tunes like 500 Mile High are written for Flora Purim to sing and do have this Brazilian Samba influence.

So Corea mentions how his discovery of Scientology also made him feel happier and lighter - but to me - what I hear is the spirit of a lot of Brazilian music.

So - the spirit of Jobim - listen to his album "Stone Flower" where he plays simple electric piano and has percussion instead of drums - this has a similar feel.

I have loads of Brazilian Jazz on compilations and that feel is often present - but it is difficult to get whole albums of Brazilian music and it is usually based around acoustic guitar rather than piano.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Michael Manring does an excellent solo version of this tune. It's anything but light as a feather, though. Very ominous and dark.