Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me find a cheap, faster, connection.(or. "I'M GOING TO STAB MY BRAINNNNN)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Mar 1, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Okey dokey.

Right now, I am connected at 26.4. It takes ages to load anything. I have a 56k, but the phone company says (just a few months ago it would connect at speeds over 56k) that it's the "Area".
    I have to keep my line (fax/business reasons, don't feel like calling up every business that uses my fax number to tell them ive changed) and do not have enough money for the line, AND DSL. What I want to know is,,,,,is there ANYWAY POSSIBLE I can up my speed, if just a little? all the DSL providers ive seen are charging at least 35 bucks a month. My line right now costs a little near that. So, can I keep my line and still connect at faster rates? I'm willing to pay a fee, just not HUGE one. one I can afford. ANY other suggestions are welcome. I don't care if it's putting peunut butter on the modem, I'll take it!

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    10 bucks, via PeoplePC.

but i mean, thats el crapo and cheap, I suppose. Most people pick at least a better one that that.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    GO to college....broadband is free ;)

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If the phone company says it's your area, then no service will make your connection faster. Cable modems rule.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    *Polly puts gun up to head*

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey, before you do that, can I have your gear? :D

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    *looks at blissheads gear......* NO! *Pulls trigger*

*Polly's ghost form says*: But they said i COULD get DSL out here, i just couldnt connect at anything higher than 26.4 with normal dial up because of the "Area", and like i said already, In the past, i connected at WAY higher speeds than 26.4. (this phone company also serves the DSL service.)

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    In the past from a different area? List exactly what has changed, address, computer, ISP, modem, OS, etc. Sorry if I'm being slow.

Hey, can I have your corpse? I want to put it on my front steps, scare away the religious solicitors.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Forty bucks for speeds up to T1, it's quite cool.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool. You've probably already noticed that most servers do not serve at anything close to that, but it's good to have anyway.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, they should with what they charge for Photoshop! You run into quick ones once in a while. I found some smokin' ones late at night downloading linux distros. That is the best, download a lot of things and play Unreal Tournament at the same time. :D

12. hahaha...

at&t broadband is THE way to go. mmm.

im afraid theres nothing you can do. step up and get cable.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Polly's ghost: Nothing has changed, not even the number, it's the same ISP as always, and they *say* it's not them, it's the phone company, but in the past at the same place, same number, I had MUCH faster connection speeds. sometimes it would be 28.8, but all i would have to do is call back and it would be higher. They even offer cable to where i am, and earthlink says they go to my area as well. I just can't think of anything to do. I don't know if my phone company is lying, or what?!?!?!

All i know is

26.4 = Mental Insanity

EDIT: Yes you can have my corpse. at least your putting it to good use.

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, I vote for the brain stab.

Or get cable :D

Hey Wrong Robot, what are some of those bandwidth testing sites? I wanna know what mine is.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I would try a different access number, then a different ISP. Oh, thanks for the corpse!!! I'll pay for shipping of course.