1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me find a Lakland 44-01 in black

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sparkdog, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    My birthday is coming up and I decided to make sure I got exactly what I want this year :)

That is a Lakland Skyline 44-01 in black/rosewood. I thought that would be easy to find but it sure as hell isn't. I called Lakland and they have none at the moment. They were super helpful though, and gave me a list of dealers to try. I called them all, not a single black one to be found.

To make my quest even harder, I want a really lightweight one. I currently own one in natural that weight 7 pounds 12 ounces and it has ruined me for all other instruments...4 hour shows are effortless with this bass, so my extensive collection of Jazz Basses is just gathering dust.

Help me Talkbass brothers! Who are your secret sources that might have this elusive beast? Doesn't have to be new either, I'm good with used.

Thanks.

2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    lakland-4401SKYLINEBLACKDIS-0.

Here you go,

:bag::rolleyes:

EDIT: Apologies TLDR

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Unfortunately, finding another sub-8lb 55-01 might be nigh-on impossible. Mine and others I've tried have always felt a bit on the heavy side.

If black is the color you really want and you need lightweight, a refinish of your natural 55-01 may be the best option. There's lots of reputable folks who could do it for you. Normally I'd shy away from such action, but natural finish 55-01's are a dime a dozen.

4. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a 44-01, not 55-01. I swore off 5 strings years ago.

5. If you think black is hard to find, try looking for a silver one....a virtual White Buffalo.

I've seen quite a few black ones on ebay over the years. If you can wait it out I bet you'll find one. The "light weight" component (which is also what I want) might complicate matters, though.

Good luck.

6. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Yeah, it's not looking good to have it by my birthday. I called every place I could find that sells Lakland, no go. Lakland themselves tell me they are out of 44-01's and probably won't have more till summer. Damn! The one I'm playing now is so nice I don't want to play anything else. I have it strung with black tapewounds, I want another one to put my beloved Roto 66's on so I can use it just for the songs that need a pick. Gonna have to be patient I guess.

7. I know what you mean, I've had mine for 10+ years and it's still one of the best sounding basses for my taste. For some reason I like the MK1 elects better than USA Bart setups. I just wish mine was a pound lighter.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Sorry, I mis-wrote.
    Still, my advice is still the same. You're unlikely to find a 44-01 that is both black and under 8 pounds. Good luck in the search, but if you come up empty handed, a refin may be your best option.