1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find a laptop!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I want to purchase a laptop. I'm looking for the following things:

long battery life (6+ hours)
    i3 or i5 processor
    4GB ram
    video card that can do CAD
    14-15" screen
    6lb max

I am an engineering student that mostly uses the internet and writes lab reports. I won't be doing any gaming on it. I looked at an Apple 13" Macbook Pro, but I wasn't impressed.

I need some help choosing a reliable brand. My maximum spending limit is $1200.

Thanks!

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    for i3-i5 Sony Vaio's are pretty nice, good mid range laptop, you'll spend a little more than another brand because its a Sony, but they are reliable, and look cool :D

There normally pretty good on battery too, but 6 hours would probably be pushing it.

3. We have 2 Toshiba laptops. Toshiba are excellent quality and I swear by them. My wife has used her Toshiba for 3 years now with no problems...she even dropped it. I'm sure you can find all the specs you want in a Toshiba.

4. Thanks guys, an HP is at the top of my list so far.

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I have an HP Envy 14 which I'm happy with, I think it fits all of your requirements except for maybe battery - I can only get 5 hours out of it if I'm just taking notes in class, not doing anything remotely taxing.

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I have a HP, never liked the brand, but I have been happy with the quality so far, no issues with it physically (other than badly positioned USB ports) and I found it had a surprisingly small amount of that "Helpful Software" production computers normally come with.

Got it for a steal too, it was the top of the range display model, over $3000 worth of laptop for less than half price :D:D

7. How about a 15" Macbook Pro.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021