1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me find a new cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, May 5, 2006.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm looking to replace my two SWR Goliath IIIs. I love the 'hi-fi modern' sound with the tweeter, etc. However, I feel that SWR's quality has declined. I've had two speakers blow in each cab. I don't have the time to keep replacing these drivers--especially considering how long it takes to get a response from anyone these days.

So help me out. I want a sound similar to the GIII (maybe less 'mid scooped') and with huge balls volume wise. BOTH tone and volume are my important. If it's just loud but sounds like crap then it'll do me no good. If it has great tone and nobody can hear me then that won't do me any good either.

I'm open to all considerations. Ampeg, Eden, Aggy, Mesa Boogie, Epifani, whoever, whatever.

I know that we all should play through a cab to find if we like it--but in my area I'm very limited and would have to travel a bit to experiment.

Thanks in advance.

2. the obvious step is eden, take it :)

410xlt has a lot of low mids. If you want a little more of a flat or open sound go xst

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Low mids are good. There's times with my GIII I wish I'd had a little more mids. However, I don't want that gigantic mid range hump that some cabs have.

4. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Sounds like you're using too powerful of an amp. What are you using? My guess is that you will blow drivers up with a new cab too. The EQ tends to be where people hurt their speakers. If you boots the bass at all you may be overloading them. I almost strictly work on an EQ cut-only basis. I don't use SWR speakers, but I have blown others by over EQing in the past.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Actually I run my EQ on both my preamp and my bass mostly flat. I might boost some highs and little bass--but mostly I run it flat.

As far as my setup--I've been using this setup for years with other cabs (Goliath I) and have never had any problem until I 'upgraded.'

So what gives?

For a cab rated at 700 watts RMS and peak probably being twice that it really doesn't make any sense to me.

Plus, since when does 'wattage' blow speakers? There are countless threads here on TB saying that wattage doesn't blow speakers, etc.

6. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Wattage doesn't necessarily blow speakers, but a higher wattage amp can cause the speakers to over excurd and cause damage. The reason I was saying "don't boost bass" is because those ultra low frequencies actually rob your amp of power. The other thing is that the cab's 700 watt rating is based on a sine wave. This is how every speaker cab is rated. A sine wave is a very clean electronic frequency that is easy for a cab to reproduce. When you bring into account the MASSIVE dynamic range of a bass, all bets are off. You can easily overdrive a 700 watt cab with a 500 watt head. You saying that you didn't have problems with the Goliath 1 series is a bit of a mystery, but they may have switched speaker vendors recently. Last I knew they were still using the same PAS 10" drivers. If this has changed it could be the issue. I've always had great luck with my SWR stuff in the past (former Henry The 8x8 user, traded on a bass, stupid me), not to say there isn't a bad batch of speakers every once in a while. What head are you using? What bass are you using? In fact, what pickup are you favoring? The guys I know that blow speakers are guys that use P basses or the like with severly over or under powered heads. More info please.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have never blown an SWR speaker cab yet, currently using 2 Goliath 3s with a Mesa 400+ or SWR SM900. In the past I have owned other Goliaths and the old Bigfoot 212 cab(should never have sold it, second time tonight I have said this), and use dthem with a vareity of amps with no problems. This includes cranking it on some fairly large outdoot gigs. Despite some of the aspersions being cast on the newer SWR gear, I still have confidence in their speakers.

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes, SWR is still using PAS drivers. But I've been using the same preamp/amp on several different cabs--GK, Trace Elliot, and Avatar--and have never had any problems/blown drivers.

I'm using a BBE Bmax (SS) preamp into a QSC RMX 2450 (bridged into 4 ohms--going into two GIII 8 ohm cabs). That's approx. 1400 watts peak per cab. As I've always done in the past--usually a cab's peak power is twice it's RMS rating. I've got my gain set to accomodate the decent output from my bass. I have the master level of the pre set to where I get no clip light from my amp. Rarely do I need to turn the volume control on the amp up past 3 or 4. Never do I see any clip lights flashing.

BTW I'm playing a stock Lakland 55-02 and a StingRay5.

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I hope you're right. I don't want to have to take the time and money to replace these. As much as I hate to say it, I hope it's me and not the cabs.