1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Seten, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Help me pick out a rig

Our band is starting to play around town in bars and festivals, and I am looking to upgrade from my b160xl crate combo amp. I am somewhat familiar with how ohms/watts and all that works, but a little unclear in certain bits so I apologize in advance. It is my understanding that most bass heads have power ratings at 4 ohms and 8 ohms. I am looking at the GK MB500 500 watt head, which is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms and 350 watts at 8 ohms. The cab I am looking at is a GK 410BLX II, which handles 400 watts at 8 ohms.

My questions are:
    1. Could those two work together/could I then turn it up all the way on the head without worrying about blowing the speaker
    2. Are both of those good, quality pieces of equipment?
    3. Other than cables and a bass, what else do I need to complete the rig, or is that it?
    4. Could I later on buy a bass cab rated 200 watts at 8 ohms then hook that up to the head too? It is my understanding that that would make it a total of 500 watts at 4 ohms for the head and 600 watts (400+200) at 4ohms (two 8 ohm cabs run in parallel) for the cabinets.

Thanks!

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That combo would work fine.
    the "power handling" number is just a high-end number so you don't blow up the cab.
    One 8 ohm cab = 8 ohms
    Two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms
    As for how to understand more watts/ohms etc - there are only about a zillion threads here on the subject.

Me, I like matching cabs - so you like this 4x10 - get another one just like it later or bigger gigs - but that 4x10 will work for almost everything you want to do, period.

3. The MB500 should do great! The cab is a little lacking, however. I'm not an expert, but I believe the head could easily put out much more than 400 watts in bursts, and maybe damage the cab. GK's Neo cabs are what I would shoot for. Lightweight, and sound amazing.

4. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    I was afraid that two of those would mean that the head could end up under powering the cabs, which I have heard can also be a problem, as it would be total 800 watts on a 500 watt head. I'm not sure though.

5. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well the head is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms, but if I had just a single cabinet I believe it would mean the impedance would be 8 ohms, and the head is rated at 350 watts at 8 ohms which is why I picked a 400 watt cab. Is that right?

6. Underpowering is a myth, at least if you ask me. I've got an MB200 that runs my Neo410 just fine. That's like 130 watts from the head (I think) against 800 from the cab. Sounds great, no problems at all.

7. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Alright, then I shouldn't have to worry about that. Thanks!

8. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Also, when you said "that combo would do fine" did you mean my b160 combo amp would work fine for those shows, or that the combination of the head and the amp would work together?

9. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bump

10. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bump

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What? What more do you want? We've told you your planned rig is fine...

Do you want other suggestions?

12. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I think that he was referring to the combo of head and cabinet. makes sense to me. Patience young grasshopper....

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    1. They'll work together just fine. / Probably, but regardless of amp RMS & cab wattage handling ratings, it's always necessary to listen. If you hear bad stuff from your cab, turn down.
    2. The amp is excellent. Sure the cab is, too (GK is just nice gear), but have no 1st-hand experience.
    3. That should do it, unless you want effects pedals (Pandora's box, lol).
    4. Yes, you could, although you'd probably "daisy chain" the cabs. Is there a single amp output tap or 2? If one, cable from it to the 1st cab & then cable from the 1st cab to the 2nd. If your 1st box is a 410, the best bet for a 2nd is an identical box to the 1st (in this case another 410 BLX II). Sounds like you're talking about your possible 2nd cab being a 210. It'll work, but the two 10" speakers will each receive twice the watts as the four 10" speakers because the amp will deliver 1/2 its RMS to each cab equally (250 to each).

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    If you buy that combination DO Not turn it all the way up!
    IMHO you should never Max an amps volume.
    I use a 400 watt amp & a 500 watt cab but I never Max it out.

shrigg likes this.
  15. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Alright, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I doubt I'll ever max it out anyway.

16. Seten

Seten

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Also, if I can't find another 4x10 gk blx-II (all the online websites seem to be out of stock, I'm buying one at my local used music store that's been barely used and looks brand new) could I hook it up with any kind of 4x10 with similar wattage? Or should I try to stick with matching cabs?

17. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Sticking to matching cabs is ideal.....but its a sound/preference thing. Not a power issue. You're mb500 into the 410 will be loud enough for 90% of your gigs or more....and thats with your main volume at <1oclock. Anything needing more sound than that you should be through the PA.

If you find yourself constantly over the 1oclock position....slap your band around and tell them to turn the hell down. OR..... get another 410 and a dolly or something. You're going to need it. Lol.

18. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    :thumbsup:

19. I use a 400W head (300@ 8 ohm) into a 410 rated for 800 watt, and it still farts out if you push the amp too much. Most likely your cab will be the bottleneck, so I would advise investing a little more into the cab than into the head (I did about 60/40).
    Also keep in mind you can always add a second cab later... Even if your amp is 200W, pushing those into two high sensitiviy 410's is going to be plenty loud.

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Any similar 410 would probably work pretty well, maybe great, just that matching anythings are sure to work well together, that's all.

Seten likes this.