1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me find a pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Bardolph


    Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I need to get a 100k blend pot but there isn't anybody that seems to have them. I've tried all the big names in guitar parts and can't find one anywhere. Does anybody know where I could find one, or is there some way to make a 50k or a 250k into a 100k?
  2. A9X


    Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Try Radio Shack, or Newark Electronics, or Allied Electronics or basically any store that sells std electronics components. Look in the Yellow pages, there's bound to be one close to you. There's nothing I've ever seen in an instrument that couldnt be got for an electronics parts wholesaler. Bet it'll be a lot cheaper too.
  3. David Wilson

    David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

    Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't seen any of these available from any of the usual suspects (including mouser, allparts etc).
    But they must be out there: SD use 100K blend pots in their active preamps. Unless it was a custom one-off order from them (most pot mfrs will do custom jobs for 1000 or more of a piece)
  4. Bardolph


    Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've tried the places you listed and anywhere else I can think of. I'm thinking there has to be a way to fix up a 50k or 250k pot into a 100k by altering the resistance somehow. :eyebrow:
  5. Paul A

    Paul A

    Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    P.M. me your address and I'll send you one (I got twenty or so lying around).
    It might take a week or 2 to arrive (I'm in the U.K.)
  6. AlembicPlayer

    AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

    Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

    I have had success with raising the resistance of a pot by scraping the resistive element on the edges with an exacto blade. You may be able to get a 50k up to 100k with some careful work...but it can be done.

    if you want some detailed instructions, I can point you to them.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. A9X


    Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm sorry, but I find it really hard to beleive that you can't source a 100k pot in a large city. I'd have no trouble tomorrow sourcing 100k lin, log A and B in single and dual, probably even quad stacked if I put my mind to it. These are such common components and they're used in all sorts of equiptment. None of the suppliers of these parts I use are in the US, so I can't provide part #'s, but if you answer the two questions below, let's see what we can do to find some.

    Did you take the pot with you when you went to get a replacement, or did you only ask for a 100k blend pot? If you didn't, take it to an electronics parts supplier and get them to find a replacement from the part in your hand. Sometimes differing terminology can create confusion.

    What markings are on the side of the pot, either printed or stamped into the metal housing? What type of shaft does it have; knurled or round with a flat face 1/4"? A picture would be very handy.

    Rat Shack (US) have single 100k linear (PN: 271-092) and 100k log (PN: 271-1722) for $2.98 ea. Even if you need a knurled shaft, this would get you out of trouble till you can find exactly what you need. Just don't use a knob.

    I'm thinking there has to be a way to fix up a 50k or 250k pot into a 100k by altering the resistance somehow

    Nope, not relly. AlembicPlayer's idea will work, but might not create a reliable pot, and definitely won't work well if the pot is a logarithmic taper, due to the way the resistive element is made.