Help me find a preamp for an older F Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by godoze, Oct 21, 2003.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a 92 fretless F bass that I want to put a preamp in. I'm looking for some boost.

The criteria are as follows:

Must use three knob configuration ( I do not want to alter the look of the bass.)

Must have a passive option ( I do like the F bass tone.)

Must be small enough to fit into a tight control cavity due to the dummy coils that are in there.

Would be nice if it were 3 band but 2 band will do.

2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Nah, I'm lookinf at the u retro that i'm putting into another bass. It's got 4 pots and 2 switches...

Can only have 3 pots.
  3. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Don Z,
    I'd seriously check out the J-Retro Stompbox STMP-01 preamp, basically the same animal as the installed J-Retro version. No worries about changing the original configuration of your bass or control cavity space and you can use it with other instruments.

I use one with my '72 Jazz ..... very nice sounding pre, with lots of tonal flexibility, particularly in the mid-range.

Have you considered sending it to George to have one of his preamps installed?? It's the most musical preamp I've ever laid ears on. That's definitely worth checking out.

I know that F bass that you got from Mark - it's a beautiful bass. I had it here to check out and ended up returning it back to him as it was too dark sounding for my taste. So I'm having one made by George F. that is about a month away.

Good luck with the preamp hunt.

4. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    So you have U-Retro Deluxe with the additional passive tone knob then, requiring 4 holes in total.

The standard U-Retro does actually have 3 stacks, which sounds like it would fit.

5. :D

I think I'd listen to John E. about the U/J retro configurations :)

Another suggestion would be a Bart setup. Lots of options there. No specifics, sorry.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Yes John, I do have the U- Retro Deluxe...

The stomp box idea hadn't occurred to me.

So that F hass been to PA twice. I'm not far from you bdog - Souderton...
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If that's the F Bass that came from down around my part of the world, that's a killer bass! DON'T change it! :D
    With that, I'll also suggest the J-Retro stompbox. It really does seem to like passive basses better (mine does, at least), and it sounds SO good. I'm looking at getting another as a back-up DI if something were to happen to my first.
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Why not just give George a call at the F-bass plant to see if he can installed something that you would like and wouldn't change the appearance of the bass since he is the guy that made the bass or you just want something different.I've heard a F-bass with a Mike Pope Preamp installed in it and the sound was Awesome.!
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm going to call George now.
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Talked to George...He said that he'd sell me a stompbox with one of his preamps...for $500.00

His other suggestion was that I sell the bass and buy a "modern" version.:rolleyes:
  11. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I'm somewhat taken aback from this response from George.Did he give you a reason to why he would suggest buying the stomp box(I'm sure that the $500.00 price didn't have much to do with it:mad: )or would the cost be the same if he were to install a 2 or 3 band preamp of his in your bass.I thought that George would do just about anything you wanted to your bass whether it be old or new.:confused:

As always I could be wrong.
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My bass is a 1992. It has the old style F pups with the silencer coils in the ctrl cavity and therefore the preamp will not fit in the cavity.

He told me I could get new pups ($500 for a set) or a stompbox ($500) or just sell the bass and get a new version. That was the conversation plain and simple...
  13. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Boy I tellya,so much for customer service
  14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass

I have J-Retro Stompboxes in stock for $200 less.