1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help me find a suitable 6 sting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harold, Nov 20, 2003.

1. hey
    i am able to get a new bass for christmas. i want a six sting bass but i dont know what to get. i have a limit of about 500-600 american dollars. please help me find a 6 sting that will be the best "bang for my buck"
    thx

edit: oh sorry i didnt post my styles. i mainly play 80s metal(metallica, megadeth) and progressive (dream theater) also i am not sure about the scale. i would guess i would want a 35" for a 6 sting (for low b) ummm ya also i dont know what brand to choose. thats mainly why i am looking for help, i dont really know what brand is more reliable then others and provides better quality for cheaper (best bang for my buck)im also not sure about the sting spacing, again i would want something to fit metal and progressive styles. i like to do runs on the bass alot and i want to be able to move quickly along the fret board.

Last edited by harold on 11-21-2003 at 01:46 AM

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    suitable bass for what? :confused:

We need more info than just the price range to give a good suggestion. Your styles of music, scale you want, string spacing, and some preffered brands would be good starting places.

3. best bang for the buck would be a used bass... the difference in what you can get for 600 used vs 600 new is HUGE... im not a 6 stringer so thats about all i can tell you

4. Yeah man, check out ebay. I'm seeing some good deals on there. I see a ton of brice 6 ers (never heard of em) you can buy for less than 300. This is just an example, you can get something better for 600 on ebay :)

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    A new Brice 6'er(or two), A used (MAYbe new)Yamaha Myung sig can be had in that range(though i don't like it), A used(MAYbe new) Ibanez BTB406(sound might be too smooth for your style) and their other line's sixer (sound gear?) might be in your range as well. Just some i suggest you look into :) (Dean also has a sixer if i'm not mistaken)

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    check out Dean, Ibanez, and Peavey. Or heck, buy a Brice and mod the heck out of it.

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Check out the used section here at talkbass. I got a kicks-ass DeArmond Sixer for about $400.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I got my Alvarez AEB6 (purple burst :cool: ) here on Talkbass. Killer deal, too! Worth doing a search.

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Check out www.deanguitars.com if you find anything
    you like e-mail Kent at Legends Guitars
    lguitars@tampabay.rr.com
    I think kent has some in stock, if not he may have
    a deal on other brands as well, they have a great
    vintage shop.:)

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would recommend getting a Schecter Studio 6. Neck-Thru Body, EMG Pickups, EMG Active Pre-Amp. Looks really high quality if you like the sound of it. I would also second Brice/Rondo's 6 ers for the price. I've heard nothing but good things about them. For the price range you are looking for, you could possibly buy two or get another bass like a fretless version. Thanks. That's my 2 cents.