help me find a suitable 6 sting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harold, Nov 20, 2003.

1. hey
    i am able to get a new bass for christmas. i want a six sting bass but i dont know what to get. i have a limit of about 500-600 american dollars. please help me find a 6 sting that will be the best "bang for my buck"

edit: oh sorry i didnt post my styles. i mainly play 80s metal(metallica, megadeth) and progressive (dream theater) also i am not sure about the scale. i would guess i would want a 35" for a 6 sting (for low b) ummm ya also i dont know what brand to choose. thats mainly why i am looking for help, i dont really know what brand is more reliable then others and provides better quality for cheaper (best bang for my buck)im also not sure about the sting spacing, again i would want something to fit metal and progressive styles. i like to do runs on the bass alot and i want to be able to move quickly along the fret board.

Last edited by harold on 11-21-2003 at 01:46 AM
  2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    suitable bass for what? :confused:

We need more info than just the price range to give a good suggestion. Your styles of music, scale you want, string spacing, and some preffered brands would be good starting places.
  3. best bang for the buck would be a used bass... the difference in what you can get for 600 used vs 600 new is HUGE... im not a 6 stringer so thats about all i can tell you
  4. Yeah man, check out ebay. I'm seeing some good deals on there. I see a ton of brice 6 ers (never heard of em) you can buy for less than 300. This is just an example, you can get something better for 600 on ebay :)
  5. A new Brice 6'er(or two), A used (MAYbe new)Yamaha Myung sig can be had in that range(though i don't like it), A used(MAYbe new) Ibanez BTB406(sound might be too smooth for your style) and their other line's sixer (sound gear?) might be in your range as well. Just some i suggest you look into :) (Dean also has a sixer if i'm not mistaken)
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    check out Dean, Ibanez, and Peavey. Or heck, buy a Brice and mod the heck out of it.
  7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Check out the used section here at talkbass. I got a kicks-ass DeArmond Sixer for about $400.
  8. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I got my Alvarez AEB6 (purple burst :cool: ) here on Talkbass. Killer deal, too! Worth doing a search.
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Check out if you find anything
    you like e-mail Kent at Legends Guitars
    I think kent has some in stock, if not he may have
    a deal on other brands as well, they have a great
    vintage shop.:)
  10. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would recommend getting a Schecter Studio 6. Neck-Thru Body, EMG Pickups, EMG Active Pre-Amp. Looks really high quality if you like the sound of it. I would also second Brice/Rondo's 6 ers for the price. I've heard nothing but good things about them. For the price range you are looking for, you could possibly buy two or get another bass like a fretless version. Thanks. That's my 2 cents.