1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find all the 19mm manufacturers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sparkdog, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I'm looking for a new active 5 string and the number one requirement for me is that it have 19mm string spacing at the bridge.

I did a search here but didn't come up with a lot of manufacturers, it seems the options are kind of limited with that spacing.

I'm aware of Lakland (I have a DJ5), MTD, Pedulla, and Sadowsky.

The other requirement (unfortunately) is that I have a maximum budget of around $1000, so I obviously will not be getting the MTD535 of my dreams :)

Who else makes 19mm basses in this price range?

Thanks folks!

2. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Musicman SUB 5?

Not sure what the spacing was (never measured mine), but it was pretty wide... Might be 17mm though?

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Nope. 17.5 mm.

4. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Yeah, I've tried every 5 string Musicman they make and the spacing is way too tight for me.

Too bad too...a Sterling or Stingray 5 with 19mm spacing (that didn't weigh 12 pounds!) would be close to the perfect bass for me.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Don't the import MTDs have 19mm spacing? Take a look and try and snag a used one....

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yep. Carvin BB75 is also 19mm 5 string but with an asymetrical neck. Very cheap used.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out the Squier Jazz Deluxe V. Not only does it have 19 mm spacing at the bridge; it's 2" wide at the nut.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Squire jazz Deluxe is probably more like 20mm spacing. Plus one on the import MTDs. I think the neck on the Kingston is second only to a Sadowsky when it comes to five string necks.

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    -Korean MTDs.
    -I know Yamaha had a BB model that was 19-mm
    -Ibanez BTB series

Not in the $1000 budget:

-Valenti
    -Zon (only the 519 model)
    -Alleva-Coppolo
    -Sukop

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You might get lucky and find a Pedulla Rapture for around $1,000 also and they have great 19mm necks.

11. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Raptures come in two spacings so you have to be sure which spacing it is I hade one that I believe was 17.5

12. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Really? I thought all the Carvins were narrow spacing.

Is the BB the Bunny Brunel model?

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

You live in the city next to me and also love 19mm spacing. We should hold meetings on Thursday nights.

But in a more serious note, if I had some extra cash to throw around I'd love to see what I can do with a Squier Deluxe Active 5 and modding it up.

oh, if I were you I'd either go to Sherman Oaks Guitar Center or Bass Exchange down the street. If you go to the former, ask for Dave (BurgerMeister here) and he will help you out.

14. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm constantly on the lookout for 5-strings with what I consider 'comfortable' spacing; 19-20mm bridge spacing and 2" (+) nut width. I FINALLY found one recently that fits all this criteria - the new Fender Jazz 24V! I saw this bass online as Fender's site, but the specs showed it having the same neck as the rest of their 5-strings. The website is WRONG! This bass has a neck very similar to the Squier Jazz V but uses better woods and feels like it's a bit more refined. (I have a - highly modified - Squier Precision Special V - so, I have a direct means of comparison.) Additionally it has a slightly downsized Jazz body, Hipshot lightweight tuners, Basslines pickups and preamp, and thru body bridge, and some other very nice touches.

This bass plays great, sound great, looks great, is very versatile - and cost me less than $800!! If Fender can continue in this vein - understanding that there really ARE players like us out here who really want wider spacing - I'm hoping that they'll work something out in their American made offerings at some point in the future.

15. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    The new Dingwall SuperJ5's are 19mm, but definitely outside the $1000 cap.

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yep, the BB75 comes stock with a 19mm, asymetrical neck (to die for). This is a $30 option on an LB75.

17. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Yamaha TRB's

18. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    Roscoe, no matter how many strings, have 19mm (.75 inch) spacing. If the 3-5k pricetag is scary, check out the Century Standard Models. A no-frills Roscoe is still a dream axe.

19. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Oh it's scary alright!

What does a Century Standard go for?

20. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    can be had for about $1.5k i think.