1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Find My Bass Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImUncleSam, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ImUncleSam

ImUncleSam

Aug 8, 2007
    So right now I am trying to replace my current fuzz, Frantone's "The Sweet" which really doesn't sound great on bass. I was originally going to get an Effector 13 Truly Beautiful Disaster but E-13 is currently undergoing a manufacturer change and their art is also changing. Head over to http://www.oohlalamanufacturing.com/ sometime to see the new art- it's on the home page and is absolutely hideous. Believe it or not the art was enough to turn me off to the pedal- i had actually already ordered one from a website but canceled the order once I saw the new art.

So right now I'm trying to decide what fuzz to get. I basically have narrowed it down to between the Malekko B:assmaster and the ZVEX Wooly Mammoth. What would any of you people with personal experience with these pedals recommend? The only other effect pedal in my rig right right now is the Guyatone Ultron. Aside from simply wanting a good fuzz sound- ive also been trying to get a fuzz in order to give me added sustain so I can use the wave oscillation on my Ultron very well by holding notes for long periods of time. :bassist:

2. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Well, if you're into the E13 stuff, check out http://www.deviever.com

E13 used to be Devi's company, but I think it got sold or licensed (I'm not sure what the proper legal term is, which is dumb because my girlfriend is a patent lawyer) but Devi doesn't do those pedals anymore. However, Devi still makes cool stuff (lots of crazy fuzz options), and you can check it out at the above link.

I have an SM on the way myself!

3. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I think it's still Devi's company, but she has Oohlala manufacture them - so the proper term is probably licensed.

And dood, do a search! Frantone makes a mild bass fuzz, the Lo Tone. Countless other fuzzes mentioned...

4. ImUncleSam

ImUncleSam

Aug 8, 2007
    Those are some sweet pedals but I don't think I want anything as crazy sounding as those Devi Ever pedals yet. I'm really liking the Wooly Mammoth right now although I'm also now considering Death By Audio's Supersonic Fuzz Gun.

5. Devi have great prices...

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :confused: DBA's pedals frankly out-crazy Devi's IMO.

But in all seriousness, we've had several fab threads about the B:Assmaster, so you'll want to check those out, and the Mammoth and other bass fuzzes are a perennial favorite topic here too. Lots to read. :)

7. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1 - have you checked their OD - very intense.

8. ImUncleSam

ImUncleSam

Aug 8, 2007
    yeah death by audio's pedals are pretty crazy but for some reason im drawn to them. I think i've decided I want a Wooly Mammoth though- it seems like the cleanest- fattest fuzz for bass.

9. ImUncleSam

ImUncleSam

Aug 8, 2007
    Do you guys thing that devi's "Peep" photo sensor expression pedal would work with my Ultron? thinkin about gettin one of them

10. Funny you just listed the two pedals that are as crazy as Devi’s designs.

I didn't care for the one used Mamoth I tried out, it was muddy sounding, but that was through a music stores equipment so...

BTW the Dark Boost and Silver Crank (AR-DB & AR-33) combined will give you close to a Wolly Mamoth sound at 1/3 price.
    Check out the MI Audio GI or Neo fuzzes they have a great range, with a little tweaking you will probably find what your looking for.

There is also the Jacques Fuse Blower II and Bat fuzz which I haven’t tried but look good on paper.

MM

11. ImUncleSam

ImUncleSam

Aug 8, 2007
    the reason I like the Wooly Mammoth so much is because it's gated. I'm going to check out those pedals you mentioned though.

12. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    i know that you are talking about a different type of fuzz, but has any one else ever encountered dust balls inside the SEALED control cavities on older basses. Whats up with that?

13. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  14. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    +1 to DBA Fuzz Gun and Wooly Mammoth being as crazy as Devi's stuff.

I haven't tried the WM, but I tried the Fuzz Gun after sweating it really hard for a while, and it let me down. I dislike gated fuzz though, so it might work for you. I just think that the DBA stuff is all overpriced. It's good, but not that good, you know?

If you're looking for a crazy, but not too crazy gated fuzz, I think you need to try the Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler. There are samples of it in the big sound sample thread on this site. The samples are only one sound that it's capable of though, I was able to get a lot more varied stuff from it when I tried it out. I tried it and loved (LOVED) it, except that it was gated. I was so bummed that it had that one flaw (flaw in my opinion that is).

15. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    My thoughts on the mammoth for what you describe... it has a really distinct voicing that doesn't ever change much, or let much of your instruments tone through. I think that it does a decent range of sounds, but that they are all definately coming out of a wooley mammoth. If you liked the demo video sounds, its actually pretty close to those. The gating won't increase your sustain though... if anything it kills it a little. It sustains nicely with the gating off, but when you turn up the pinch the notes sputter and die as the note decays... I don't really think the mammoth is that crazy a pedal... when its not gated its a pretty standard fuzz, and when it is gated it took a few minutes to adjust to using it and after that there were no problems.

Otherwise, lots of threads talking about the assmaster/mammoth... but they strike me as being pretty different. I wouldn't mind adding an assmaster to my mammoth if I had the space/cash.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I love fx.

17. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago
    Devi's AR33, or "short decay fuzz" is a gated, and depending on your input to it will decay quickly. Despite having only a volume control though you can affect it's sound with a variety of things. On another note you might be able to get an old version of the TBD at analougue haven if you are still interested.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Like an "over-protective mother", or... :ninja:

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Woolly Mammoth does what it does very well, but it's not particularly versitile. If you want hard, sterile, industrial fuzz with a gate control, the Mammoth is it.

The clips I've heard of the B:assmaster are darn good, and the thing seems to have a decent range of fuzz sounds as well as the ability to blend in some clean signal to the mix.

On my previous fuzz-quest, I tried the Mammoth (too sterile) and the Frantone Lo-Tone (too muted). My initial fuzz choice at the time was the EHX LBM, but eventually I found that the slight mid-range cut made it easy to get lost in a full band setting. I have gone to the PE Depth Charge, and am very happy with it.

The bottom line is, pick the one that makes you go "YEAH, BABY!!!!" :D

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    That one would be my MXR Blowtorch. :bassist:

On a sort-of-off-topic note... last weekend, I let my brother (a guitarist) experiment with my entire pedalboard on his Jackson. He loved all the effects I'd picked out, but his personal favorite was the Blowtorch. I'd never heard it on guitar before, but I was surprised... even on guitar, it's a really menacing, aggressive, and articulate fuzz!

I'll probably be taking him fuzz shopping soon :D