Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me find my dream bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silent method, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Hey all!

Well after playing around with a number of basses I am starting to realise just what it is I like and want in a bass. So if you would take time to read over my short list and make any recomendations it would be much apperciated!

Less then $1000
    Passive
    single split p pickup
    p bass body
    jazz neck
    natural finish
    oil finish neck - optional but would really love it
    4 string
    no pickguard

Thanks all!

2. I don't think you're going to find anything like this already made. If you're at all comfortable doing your own work you could make this dream bass with Warmoth parts. Try www.warmoth.com.

3. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Have you played the Duck Dunn Lakland Skyline? Not a Jazz neck I dont think but tone monster and the workmanship is top shelf.( Why of course its a Lakland!)

4. bump

anyother ideas?

5. Warmoth sounds exactly like what you need. you should be able to build exactly what you talked about with warmoth parts. Otherwise, I would imagine that a Mexican Fender P bass would do the job for you then you buy a warmoth neck for it or go through USA Custom Guitars.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warmoth sounds like the way to go.

7. I would definitely go with Warmoth if you want a natural finish. Go with an ash or walnut body, and maybe a goncalo alves neck (because it doesn't need a finish). Swamp ash or walnut usually has some pretty nice figuring and is easy to finish with Waterlox tung oil or something like that. You could choose your pickup configuration and I'm sure they could put a Jazz Bass neck pocket on the P-Bass body for you.

8. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Warmoth- only down side is the wait. They can do alot for you, just call them. Only thing they won't do is pre-drill the neck for the body. So you'll have to contact a luthier, music store, or do it yourself. If i were you I'd just stick with what you're playing now. Wait 8-10 weeks, get you want built. Then for pick ups just get a passive system, not an active system. Just call warmoth and talk to them, they'll know how to hook you up.

9. P Bass bodies are easy to find, but getting one that is rear routed is going to be custom from Warmoth.

As far as the neck goes, J and P necks are interchangable, so long as they are from Fender/Warmoth.

The electronics for this bass will be very simple and you should be able to do it at home.

www.warmoth.com

10. Warmoth Bass Bodies
    Warmoth Bass Necks

Any of these Jazz Bass bodies could be a P-Bass body. If you get a goncalo alves or wenge neck you won't need to finish, but you could use a satin finish polyurethane spray finish on a maple neck - that would be easy and work well. The goncalo alves neck will be like an oil finish because the wood has a natural oiliness to it. Like I said before, Waterlox tung oil will give you a shiny natural finish and be easy to apply. It really depends on what you're looking for.

Warmoth can rear rout any body you have made and put a finish on it if you like.