Help me find my next jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampegfuzz, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I have has the same home built jazz bass for like 8 years and have had a on again off again relationship with it. I finally broke down and sold it back to the original owner and now I want to upgrade. I would like to find a better bass and I need names and models of basses that fit into this list I have of wants and must haves.

Must haves:
    No home build basses
    Maple neck
    Rosewood board
    Under 9lbs
    1.5 nut
    Slim neck (not chunky like my '74 a width p bass)
    High gloss or raw neck finish (read: fast)
    Single coil normal jazz type pickups (no humbucker or hum canceling,except dimarzio model j)
    34"scale
    No big frets
    At or under $1200

Wants:
    Alder body
    Nitro finish
    Traditional look (fender jazz type)
    Color other then sunburst or black
    Relic'd
    If active, passive option
    Ability to install my j-retro if passive
    Blocks and binding
    Matching headstock for certain colors

This is what I can think of off the top of my head. Any help on names and models so I know what to search for would be great. Just looking up jazz bass brings mostly fenders. Basses high on my current radar are the road worn series and MIJ/CIJ basses. Tajiks for any help. Music I play is everything covers and originals.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lakland Skyline

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Carvin's SB line is consistently lightweight from what I've read.

4. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I haven't really ever dug a carvin bass I have played. Granted I haven't played a SB series but I have played a few of their flagship models in 4 and 5 string and was not impressed.

5. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    If I were I the same situation my list would be
    1. Late ..post 08 American jazz bass std used
    2. CIJ jazz
    3. Road worn jazz
    4. Lakeland skyline

With web deals you can get new am. Std jazzes under 1200. All the above basses are pro level instruments and I think you wil love happy for a long time.good luck!

6. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Thanks and I'm am not opposed to a used bass and almost prefer it.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Roadworn, except for the blocks/binding and headstock part, is perfect for you.

Used Roadworn here in the Classifieds $850-1000.

8. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    If I got a road worn I would hold out for fiesta red, kinda in talks with purchasing one but I feel it will fall thru. And those road star basses have kinda chunky necks and sound kinda blah. This bass will mostly be used for money gigs.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A Lakland fits every requirement and want...minus the nitro and relic.

10. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Yeah the want list is definitely stuff I can compromise on.

11. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Check out Bluesman Vintage. They come around used from time to time. I don't own one but they have a very dedicated following. If I ever find myself in need of a new jazz I'll be looking into them again.

My CIJ Fender is my favorite jazz to date and all I did was swap the stock pickups for a set of Fralins. Not nitro and no blocks though.

RW Jazz fits the bill other than the blocks.

12. Ouch I will delete my post because of my long fingers, I thought the roadstars I had, had tiny necks lol, and my poor ears for tone as I love Dimarzio pups, lol

13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    You have a lot of wants for your price range. As others have said, the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn fits your budget and most of your criteria. Check out Bass Central's web site. They usually even list the weight of the ones they have or will weigh it for you. Not hard to get pickguards also.

14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Fender Jaguar MIJ definitely fits your Criteria except for Binding but it has the blocks.

15. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I like dimarzio's too but some of the later inbanez basses had knock offs. And the ones you picked had the ibanez factory pups with are cool but not want I'm looking for. Would love to find a 60's/70's ibanez jazz copy

16. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Those jaguar basses have that high gloss finish I like but I would like to play one again local before I jumped into looking for one of those.

17. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Classic 70s jazz but only comes in black anf sunburst, but it has a real nice neck

18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Granted I could spend more then $1200 but that's what I have saved in my Paypal. I could dump a couple more things and bring that up a bit. I would feel ok buying a Japanese bass and swapping pickups but the closer to $800-$1000 I want it ready to roll without needing mods (other then adding my j-retro). And once again that want list is highly negotiable.

19. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    So far
    Lakland skyline JO
    Bluesman vintage
    g&l jb
    Fender RW/MIJ/CIJ
    Wilkins road tested

Any others to hunt out?

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Might also check out the upper end Washburn Tauras basses. Very nice JJ pup basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021