Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me find Rock Funk...some distorted guitar even????

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by King David, Aug 4, 2004.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I know some people thin of Harry Connick Jr. as being kind of clische, so look past that.

I absolutely loved his album She and to a lesser degree Star Turtle. I liked the Rock-Funk-Fusion. I have tried to find similar music to listen to, but I can't find it.

If you search for funk you get disco edged 70's funk. If you search for fusion, you get all kinds of stuff. If you search for Harry Connick Jr. you get big band music. It is all good, but the Rock-Funk-Fusion is what I am after. I like a little guitar with horns and a nice heavy hitting bass player.

I have tried finding stuff from time to time, but I am having trouble. I gave up until I heard a live band at the Navy Pier in Chicago that played a tune that scratched an itch and I loved it.

I am not a jazz officianado and thee are so few out there.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The first thing that came to my mind was Tribal Tech.
    Their early releases had a lotta guitar, sax, & heavy-hitting bass. They are now a 4-tet(guitar-bass-keys-drums). Also, Gary Willis' solo albums(no guitar, though).

Lost Tribe would be another band worth checking out(2 guitarists, bass, drums, & sax). Pretty killin' band, IMO.
    The Screaming Headless Torsos/David Fiuczynski...no horns, per se. Rock-Funk-Fusion, though,
    Somewhat related to Lost Tribe & the Torsos is The Hasidic New Wave. More Rock-Funk-Fusion in a Klezmer vibe. Two horn players that rip.

Going back in time-
    ELECTRIC Miles Davis(Star People, On The Corner, Tribute To Jack Johnson, Panagea, Agharta, We Want Miles, Decoy, etc)

Early Spyro Gyra has sax, a little guitar, a heavy-hitting bass(Bassists for SG included Will Lee, Marcus Miller, Kim Stone, etc).

You can also check out early Chicago & Blood, Sweat, & Tears...both come to mind if talking about Rock-Funk/Jazz. Look beyond their Top-20 hits!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rock Funk Alternative type stuff is basicaly what my band does. We arent really good yet, heh, , but its fun :p

We have a few songs, and we are decent now we just havent recorded them yet.

4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the effort.

Jazz is wierd. Most people like it, but it is hard to find anyone that knows much about it.

Keep the ideas comming.

5. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Sounds like you need a lil Rocco Prestia, Tower of power...
    John Scofields Acid/Jammy jazz bands got some pretty funky Bass
    check out A-gogo or Uberjam by him
    Or Medeski Martin and wood

Liquid Soul was pretty cool too, similar to Tower of power..

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    can't go wrong with Electric Miles.
    Here are few more:

Herbie and the headhunters (70'sfusion) but funky as hell
    MMW
    JFJO
    Chick Corea's Electric band (more jazzy but some good stuff)
    sex mob (funk w/ 20's jazz)

IF you want more jazz that is funky:
    Avishia Cohen (electric and Upright bass) Also his 'internatioanl Vamp band' is good.
    Mingus
    Weather Report (duh)
    Flecktones
    Living daylights.

Hope that helps.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    More Rock-Funk-Fusion with 'distorted guitar' & horns-

Sonny Sharrock-
    ...something like Rock The Ages(Elvin Jones, Pharoah Snaders, & Charnett Moffett).
    Seize The Rainbow, also.

"Blood" Ulmer-
    Black Rock

...or his other project, The Music Revelation Ensemble. Something like ...In The Name Of, Elec. Jazz, etc

There's also John Zorn...Naked City?

8. maybe some Vital Information??

9. Here are some of my ideas.

The Meters
    Phish
    Galactic
    Maceo Parker
    Sugarman 3 (no bass player on the album I have, but funky)
    All That
    George Clinton/Parliament Funkadelic
    Michael Ray & the Kosmic Krewe
    Afroskull
    Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
    Garage a Trois

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Jamiroquai ????

A little more funk that rock but good stuff. Try "Travelling Without Moving."