Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me find some woods..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by popinfresh, Mar 1, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey, i'd like some help here guys, especially anyone from Australia.
    I need to get some exoctic woods here and i'm not sure where to start.. I'm thinking I might have to import some in, so does anyone have any links to sites that sell kiln dried stuff good for body cores, top/back layers, necks and fretboards? I've searched around and havn't found much.. For the body i've decided on Paduak instead of Mahogany (This is for a 6 string fretless, is paduak the better choice for deep, thumpy, full bass with some punch?). I'l have a Coco-bolo top and Walnut back (Or maybe just one of those woods, or both on each side). I found this site:
    http://www.thewoodbox.com/exoticwoods/paduak.htm
    Anyone had any experience with these guys? The only problem is i'm not sure if it's dried or not..
    I've e-mailed a couple luthiers around here asking where they get their stock... so far no replies.

Any help, links etc would be greatly appreciated.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
  4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey, thanks for the links... That African Mahogany or Burmese rosewood would look sexy with that Macassar ebony top (Gallery pg 2..). Think those two would go good together for a fretless (Or fretted, whatevers best) 4 banger?

And the link with all the sites... this should keep me busy for a while, cheers guys. Anyone know anything about the site with the link i posted?

Keep em comin'.. Especially if anyone knows any in Aus.