Help me find something close to...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Werra, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Werra

Sep 26, 2005
    Can someone help me find something close to a Rickenbacker bass? I like pretty much all models of this bass but I am looking for something a little cheaper. I mostly just play stuff like Rancid and Goldfinger and I was wondering if someone could help me find a good 4-String that would suit most these needs. Thanks.. First post :) HI!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Doesnt really exist... ricks are hard to imitate, plus itd be deserving of a lawsuit. Hmm.
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    My Peavy T-40 can get a very ric-esque tone that ringing trebble with good bass foundation. It isn't perfect of course, but it nails it better than my jazz, pbass, carvin, or any of my other basses. It probably has something to do with the two passive but powerfull humbuckers. It doesn't look anything like a ric, but if you want a similar tone that's affordable then check it out. They are not made anymore, and haven't been for about 17 years, but you can find them amost always on ebay for bettween 180 and 300 dollars. Note, well constructed, but very very heavy.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Check Ebay for the Ibanez lawsuit Ricks. I dunno if they're any good, really, but at least they look pretty close to the real deal...
  5. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    A +1 on that synopsis...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their were a few MIJ copys that i have heard were pretty good and Ibanez also made a copy.
  7. Ive gotten a Geddy Lee Jazz to sound like a rick on occasion while playing it at GC. But If I want the Ric sound, Id get a ric, And 4001's usually go for 900-1400 US on ebay.
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    +1. T-40s are great.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My T-40 gets me in that territory, but the only thing that really gets that sound is a Rick.