Help me find something unique...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fatrhino, Dec 20, 2002.

1. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Hi, I'm looking for an effects pedal. Something that is totally unique and will be able to make some really interesting sounds. I'm in a three piece sceamo/dancy/garage rock/art punk band. Being a three piece, the guitarist and I have been looking for ways to make a more full, choatic, interesting sound. So i've been thinking of maybe a distortion pedal or envelope filter. I've been considering the Prunes & Custard, the Fulltone bass drive, and the guyatone slow volume. I have about $200 - $250. I've never been a pedal person so someone please help me out here...

2. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    Um, but if we recommend something to you, that means we use it. If we use it, then it won't be totally unique.:eek:
    LOL. Seriously, you will have to try out any and every pedal you can find to see if it works for you. It's all a matter of personal preference.
  3. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Well as in unique, I don't mean some overproduced (boss, dod, zoom, ibanez) crap that I can just go down to guitar center and buy. When I said unique I just meant something that sounds extraordinary and unusual. I mean something that no one else in my area uses. I think you're wrong when saying that if someone recommends it here then its not unique... Bass players from all over the world post here and i'm sure they've came across interesting pedals that I haven't tried.
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Though readily available, an EH Bassballs has some pretty interesting sounds . I've been able to milk all kinds of wacky stuff from mine.
  5. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
  6. Hmmm. . . different and unique. . .

EH Tube Zipper
    Prunes & Custard
    TZF Flanger (awesome Leslie sound on bass!)
    Robotalk (clone of Maestro Filter/Sample & Hold)

. . . challenging to find a musical use for. . .

Any ring modulator
    Lovetone ? Flanger ($$$$$, ouch!)
    Lovetone Ring Stinger ($$$$$, ouch!)
    Or, maybe one of these. . .

. . . or, if you're handy, pick up a soldering iron and DIY something really unique. Check my web site - that's what I did. :D

~ Charlie
  7. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    There are quite a lot of effects out there, even from the better known companies, that were produced in low volumes or just weren't very popular. Using these will produce some effects that most players won't have. You should also try varying the order of the effects in your signal chain, or connecting them in strange ways.