1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find this bass, (get free stuff if you do)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JZQuantum, Oct 24, 2018.

1. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Maybe you can help me do some research. My brother owned this bass many, many years ago in the 1970s as a teenager. It was his first bass. It was an entry level bass. I would not be surprised if it was purchased at a department store like Sears. He bought it used from a pawn shop.

He sold it for cash after a few years and now wants it back nearly 40 years later.

He only remembers it was made by a company called Hertz or something like that. It is a 4 string with a 3 tone sunburst finish. The headstock looks similar to Warwick to me. It came with a foam mute cap that clipped over the bridge. Looks like a single pickup with volume and tone. It has a pick guard that kinda resembles the one on Marcus Miller's jazz bass.

If you can connect me to someone selling a bass like this photo, not only will you get major league thank yous from me, I'll make a contribution to your bass fund in the form of a new set your favorite set of bass strings.

Thanks

20181024_194004. 20181024_195657. 20181024_193854.

ICM likes this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Looks like the old plywood imports of the time. Bridge makes me think of aria / matusmoku but I cant find anything that matches in a cursory search

4. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Thanks for looking, and maybe you'll find it somewhere.

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There's really too little detail in those old photos to be absolutely certain, but after a bit of rummaging on the web I'm thinking it's got to be this Heit Deluxe:

1823924heit_deluxe.

2cooltoolz, MCF, Clark Dark and 4 others like this.
  6. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    That looks awfully close to it! I sent this to him to get his feedback. He thinks he still knows the guy he sold it to and where the bass is. That would be about 40 years ago, which would be nuts if that were true.

Gaolee and Inara like this.
  7. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Talked to him. He thinks that looks like it. He is pretty sure the name brand was Hertz, though. I told him it is very possible that the same bass was made by one company and then released by different ones. Heit and Hertz are similar names.

He said all those features in the Heit bass were on his bass, including the finger pull for playing with the side of the thumb.

Now to find one for sale...

Inara likes this.
  8. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    They did make some "Hertz" guitars/basses over in Italy for a while in the mid-'60s, but nothing similar that I can find. Here's the nearest headstock comparison:

8503979heit_vs_hertz_hs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Fab Superlative likes this.
  9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Saw one hanging in the local GC last year. Kinda a cool little bass

10. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    Hertz? was it a rental bass? :)

11. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Hmmm, the headstock on his bass definitely looks like the Heit bass and not the Hertz. Maybe he isn't remembering the name brand correctly.

Do you have a picture of the rest of that Hertz bass?

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    That's a violin bass that was sold via Scolopendra and is now archived on Fetishguitars, here: Hertz - Fetishguitars.com

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  13. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Ok, thanks.

14. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Can you say which GC that was? Maybe they still have it. PM it to me if you want. Thanks.

15. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Its moved on since, but was the Arvada CO store

16. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Holy crap @cdef got it first try. Very impressive.

I've done some snooping and it looks like there may be two versions of this bass, or this is not the standard Heit Deluxe Bass. Either way, when you type in Heit Deluxe bass in any server, another bass comes up. Looks like this brand had some relationship to Teisco as well, so Teisco may have a version of this bass. Will keep looking.

JZQuantum likes this.
  17. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    They have a Heit in stock...a guitar. :bored:

18. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Cut two strings off?

19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I didn't know they took a bass to the moon landing.

Runnerman likes this.
  20. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Just the essentials :thumbsup:

ICM and Axstar like this.