1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find this bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olgluefoot, Aug 30, 2008.

1. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006
    Hey guys, i hate to ask for help like this. But it is driving me a bit nutty. This might be a long shot. but here is what the bass pretty much looked like. This familiar to anyone?

(my MS paint skills are lacking)
    l_c23e3e9ab7d8d3f7b73e2ccc8ba0c694.

the upper horn has a hand carved scroll on it. hand rubbed finish. I believe the head stock was scrolled too. The builder has a few different ones, but all are close to this design. any help would be great. Im planning on contacting him about a bass and lost the info :( Thank you!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The instrument you've drawn appears to be a Stradette. They were made by Bill Gruggett's who had worked with Semie Moseley at Mosrite Guitars during the 60's. Bill came up with this design and called it the “Stradette”. He did make a bass version of it.

You can order the guitar version made by Hallmark Guitars as they own the rights to the design. Check out their website at http://hallmarkguitars.com/ and click on "NEWS" and then "HISTORY" and you'll see a number of photos of the Stradette.

Let us know if this was what you're looking for.

TD

3. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006
    I appreciate your help bro, thats not it. I did come across those at the same time i was looking at this particular bass. I just cant imagine what lead me too it. The internet is so damn vast.

I think the f holes i placed there are a little misleading. (lemme revise it) Its a solid body, and has a hand carved top. It is a string through with an acoustic guitar style saddle. (like wishbass does, just a bar) Im a fool for not bookmarking the site.

edit: updated the visual aid.

4. HarderTheyFlo

HarderTheyFlo

Aug 31, 2007
    Buffalo
    ive seen a warwick look like that. I believe its called a vampire

5. is it kinda like this bass at 2:00?

6. alexbrownebass

alexbrownebass Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Could it be this one?

dragonetti_bass.

7. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006
    FOUND IT!!!

it is a Les Godfrey Dragonetti!

[​IMG]

8. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006
    right on the money! thanks bro! thanks everyone.