help me find this pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by delaurieann, Aug 12, 2009.

1. delaurieann

delaurieann

Aug 12, 2009
    hi im new to this website. i unfor do not play the bass but my boyfriend does. for xmas i really want to get him a pedal he mentioned the other day and i thought i would start looking for it now. flea plays it on either the by the way album or one hot minute im not to sure. he mentioned he loves that effect and really wants one so i asked him what it was and he said an aqua filter? i looked at guitar center.com and it gave me a billion pedals of course but none titled an aqua filter..so im thinking thats an effect on a pedal with a dozen other effects. go figure...he only has boss pedals so if they make a pedal with an "underwater sound effect" as he put it that would be awesome if not then the next best. thank you so much!:bassist:

2. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    There is a thread that was just started today about Flea's filters. I forget what one's it said he played, but there's alot.

The name of the effect is an Envelope Filter though.

EDIT:
    If you want something easy to find, grab him an Electro Harmonix Q-tron. That's what flea uses now-a-days and will do just fine.

3. delaurieann

delaurieann

Aug 12, 2009
    thankyou. whats the best one i can get

4. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    If money is not an object, a Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter. But that's A LOT of money. There's a bunch. What's your price range?

5. delaurieann

delaurieann

Aug 12, 2009
    how much is that one and like 200 i guess but i know he really wants one so i dunno not in the 500 range but ive never seen a pedal at that price...haha:confused::confused:

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He might have said "auto filter", which is another common name for an envelope filter (though the terms get used different ways by different people).

In a moderate price range, the Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron and the MXR Auto-Q are two very decent choices.

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The Electro-Harmonix QTron is what Flea has had on his pedalboard for quite some time. His is an older model, but this one should work fine (I've only owned the older model personally).

IIRC, Flea has also used a Musitronics Mutron III (ebay links at bottom of page) (not made anymore and VERY expensive on ebay), and the DOD FX25 (ebay links at bottom of page) (also not made anymore, but you can get them super cheap on ebay.).

I'd also suggest the EBS BassIq, Maxon AF-9, and the 3leaf Groove Regulator (can be purchased direct).

edit: also, you're an awesome girlfriend to buy your guy effects pedals. :D

8. delaurieann

delaurieann

Aug 12, 2009
    wow omg there are so many choices. yea he may have said auto but the distinct thing that sticks out in my mind is he said it gives it an underwater effect. im looking up the mooger right now 279 at guitar center not bad doesnt sound bad but im open to any suggestions thank you so much for your help guys

9. From what I've heard the WMD Fatman has got alot of usable sounds in it. Apart from that, I'd go with something that's already been mentioned.

10. Urban777

Urban777

Jun 23, 2009
    I'd reccomend the Electro Harmonix Q-Tron. Already been mentioned with a link above

11. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    +1 to the Electro-Harmonix Q-TRON, they run at about 100 bucks on the Ebay and it sounds great. It will approxiamate a lot of Flea's sounds which is a plus for him. Notice I said approxiamate not emulate so he stills needs to learn a lot about the pedal but they are just great. I won one myself for over 2 years now and it's one of the best pedals i've ever used.

12. delaurieann

delaurieann

Aug 12, 2009
    thankyou ill def. look all these pedals up

13. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I'd recommend the Q-Balls Enigma too. It can do almost everything and sounds way better than I had anticipated.

14. I think it's pretty safe to say that most, or all, of the mentioned pedal give an "underwater" effect. If you like to call it that :)

15. that "aqua" sound i suppose could be from one hot minute, the song "coffee shop" perhaps? despite what people have been saying about filters, he might have been looking for the bass wah flea used on that album. Its a dunlop 105Q bass wah.

ask him if he was looking for a manually triggered or auto triggered filter.

i dont recall much use of a filter on by the way, so im assuming she means one hot minute. i think the bass wah is the way to go

16. shineofleo

shineofleo

Jun 8, 2009
    I think flea used 105Q before. And this would be a great gift. :D

17. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    +1 to the 105Q (Dunlop Bas Wah-Wah pedal), it sounds really funky and wet and makes my Geddy Lee happy

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021